Fact or Fiction?

Guest Alfdogg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Some Guy

I don't know who Maria is  :huh:

She called Shawn Michaels "Edge" last week.

"Wait, did you just call me Edge?"

Shit, I had a question to ask and have since forgotten.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

If you remember it now, I've got the time to answer it.

Anyone ? I've got some time to kill while I download something.

Guest Bruiser Chong

She's one of the diva search contestants who didn't win who is now the worst interviewer of all time on RAW.

Even worse than Terri Runnels?

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

She's one of the diva search contestants who didn't win who is now the worst interviewer of all time on RAW.

Even worse than Terri Runnels?
Much worse. At least Terri seemed alive. Maria is like Bernie; you know she's dead, and yet somehow she has the illusion of life.

Guest Some Guy

Terri also knew who the wrestlers were because she's been around 6 years at that point.

This isn't the question I couldn't and still can't remember but how was Rock about putting people over. I can't really remember him losing clean as a whistle like Foley did for HHH, but he did job to Jericho and others. Was it a case of how he was booked or him playing a bit of politics?

Same question as above about Savage.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Outside of the deal with Hurricane, I don't think Rock ever had a problem with putting people over. Rock was remarkably carefree when it came to doing jobs and putting people over, especially for someone at his level. Without question, there were some jobs he did that made zero sense and did nothing at all for business and had to chip away a little at his aura, but he always bounced back, and it never seemed to bother him. Rock had total confidence that he'd remain as over as he did, and that undoubtedly played a part in his willingness to do what was asked of him, regardless of whether it really made sense.

Savage was pretty much the total opposite, especially in WCW. He was like so many top guys; so afraid of losing his spot and losing money, that he oftentimes didn't want to do what was best for business.

Guest Some Guy

Thanks.

Who are some guys who have a totally inflated opinion of themselves compared to their worth to the company and business as a whole and pitched a huge bitch everytime they were asked to job? I'm thinking Beefcake would be one.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Bam Bam Bigelow comes to mind, esp at the tail end of his career.

When RVD beat Jeff Hardy on Raw back in '97 Billy Gunn was meant to put him over but pitched a fit over it and Jeff got the spot instead.

Sid comes to mind as well. He hated doing jobs.

Guest Some Guy

Why was HBK picked to be the man in 96? I know the steroid era affected the decision, but Shawn didn't even look tough, at least Bret had the tough guy aura. In the Vince Jr. era I think Shawn is the smallest guy to get a legit ME push, unlike Benoit, Eddy, and Jericho.

Why was that? What made Shawn so special in Vince's eyes?

EDIT: Oh and long have you subscribed to the Observer? Have you collected a ton of back issues? I'm assuming that you aren't old enough to have suscribed since the start.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Why was HBK picked to be the man in 96?  I know the steroid era affected the decision, but Shawn didn't even look tough, at least Bret had the tough guy aura.  In the Vince Jr. era I think Shawn is the smallest guy to get a legit ME push, unlike Benoit, Eddy, and Jericho.

Why was that?  What made Shawn so special in Vince's eyes?

If you asked Hawk, it was down to the two having a 'cock and ball contract'.

Vince liked his showmanship and flashiness, and felt that that would help get him over despite, being 'small'. Vince has always liked the flashier characters.

EDIT: Oh and long have you subscribed to the Observer? Have you collected a ton of back issues? I'm assuming that you aren't old enough to have suscribed since the start.

I've got Observers going back about 15 years, and have got bits and pieces of some going back 20.

Guest Some Guy

What was the story with Vader not getting the push he should have gotten? Shawn's politics getting Sid the spot?

I've got Observers going back about 15 years, and have got bits and pieces of some going back 20.

How old are you?

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

What was the story with Vader not getting the push he should have gotten?  Shawn's politics getting Sid the spot?

Shawn got Vince to put Sid in Vader's place in the Sid-Shawn-Sid WWF Title program.

Vader also told a story one time of working a house show with a major star, who he wouldn't name, and when they got to the back, the star told Vader that if he ever worked that stiff with him again that he was going to drop a dime on his ass and get him (Vader) fired. Vader did say it was in Houston, and a check of house show results show that the guy he was working against was Sid.

Guest Some Guy

That was from Vader's shoot, right? I always figured it was Shawn who said that. I wouldn't think that Sid would have had that much stroke after only being back for a few months.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

That was from Vader's shoot, right?  I always figured it was Shawn who said that.  I wouldn't think that Sid would have had that much stroke after only being back for a few months.

Yeah, it was from Vader's shoot. I don't know if Sid would have had the stroke to pull it off, but he at least threatened to do it. I guess he felt maybe he had some pull after coming in to take Warrior's place when Warrior walked out.

Guest Some Guy

The "drop a dime" line is what made me think it was Shawn. He tends to speak in odd cliches.

Is there any vailidity to the Trish and Lilian rumor?

Or any of the other shit in the DVD smut thread? The Savage/Steph rumor?

Leading up to WM 12, what were Bret's thoughts about losing to Shawn?

What does Vince think of HTM, Savage (there has to be some hatred or we would have seen him by now), and Bret now?

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

The "drop a dime" line is what made me think it was Shawn.  He tends to speak in odd cliches.  

What does Vince think of HTM, Savage (there has to be some hatred or we would have seen him by now), and Bret now?

None that I know of.

I haven't seen the thread, but I have heard of it. Some might be true, but the vast majority of it is undoubtedly not true, especially the Savage/Steph deal.

He wasn't that pleased, because he didn't think Shawn deserved the spot, because of his lack of maturity, and while he hoped Shawn did pull it off, he didn't think Shawn would be able to do it. He wasn't majorly against losing to Shawn, but he wasn't that keen on it, for the reasons stated above. At this point in time, his dislike for Shawn was purely of a professional nature, and wasn't personal.

HTM did get a HoF invite a year or two ago, but turned it down, so he obviously feels he can get something out of using HTM. I can only assume he doesn't think he can get something out of Savage, because I don't know of any major problems he has with him. Bret, right now, he's not hot on, but that can, and does, change every so often.

Guest Bruiser Chong

That was from Vader's shoot, right?  I always figured it was Shawn who said that.  I wouldn't think that Sid would have had that much stroke after only being back for a few months.

Yeah, it was from Vader's shoot. I don't know if Sid would have had the stroke to pull it off, but he at least threatened to do it. I guess he felt maybe he had some pull after coming in to take Warrior's place when Warrior walked out.
Sid would make sense since they did run a program together in the fall of '96. They main evented the house show I went to in September of that year. IIRC, Sid won with a weak chokeslam.

Here's another wrestling urban legend everyone assumes is true I always wondered about: Was David Von Erich really in line for a NWA title run when he died? Everyone assumes Kerry got the belt because David was supposed to have a run, but I don't see how that would have been possible given the NWA storylines unless it was just a one-week type of thing.

Also, is it true that Kerry didn't really want to become a wrestler and that Fritz pretty much forced him to after David died?

Guest teke184

While no one has interviewed any NWA board members about this, the prevailing opinion is that David was NOT in line for an NWA title reign at that time.

David was seen as a potential champion but, since the Von Erichs were not heavily involved in NWA title politics and Texas was considered to be a minor territory, it wasn't likely to happen.

NWA board members like Bob Geigel, Jim Barnett, and Jim Crockett Jr. were heavily involved in the title situation, which is why Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair, and Tommy Rich all got title reigns of various lengths in the late 1970s and early 80s.

Race was Geigel's guy, as Race was a part-owner of Geigel's Central States territory in Kansas City.

Stories vary on Tommy Rich, but it appears his one-week reign was a deal made by Georgia promoter Jim Barnett to raise the profile of his territory.

(IIRC, this was near the end of the famous Georgia wrestling war between the NWA-aligned Eddie Graham / Bill Watts / Jim Barnett group and the breakaway group run by Ann Gunkel, widow of former territory owner Ray Gunkel.)

Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair got their reigns because they had pull with Crockett, Barnett, Eddie Graham, and/or others on the board. Crockett's grip on the title is why Kerry was the only non-JCP wrestler to hold the title after Harley Race in 1983. (Race only regained the title as part of the build to Flair regaining it at the first Starrcade.)

Being on the political outs is why Kerry only got a short reign and why Ted Dibiase didn't get a reign despite his support from the Funks and Jim Barnett. (Dibiase was the odd man out when it was determined that Dusty and Flair would get title reigns. Having three short-term champions in such a short period of time would have cheapened the belt at the time.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Cam Chaos

Just off something mentioned in another thread, is it true Patterson was awarded the IC title in Rio but never actually won it in a match with the actual story being they orchestrated the whole thing to push Pat and set the "title win" around the time the gay pride carnivals took place in Brazil?

Guest Some Guy

The tourney was made up. He was just given the belt, much like Buddy Rogers was given the WWWF title in 1963 and people were told that he won it in Rio.