Pro Wrestling Only

Fact or Fiction?

Guest Alfdogg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flair didn't do a promo talking about Luger's nappy hair or berating every accomplishment he'd made in his career. He put over Luger as a great challenger who just wouldn't be able to get the job done. HHH never said anything good about Booker in his interviews. That's the difference -- the buildup.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Not to mention that while Hunter was meant to drop the belt to Goldberg at Bad Blood, he postponed it so he could keep working with his good buddy Big Lazy.

Flair worked like crazy, sometimes to his detriment, to get all of foes over. Hunter only ever did that for Lazy and Shawn.

Flair also never hit his finisher on Luger and waited almost a full 30 seconds to place one hand on him for the pin.

Flair also didn't even go over Luger in 1990. He won the Wrestle War '90 match by countout, which was an angle designed to get Lex over as the top babyface with Sting out, and he lost at Capital Combat '90 by DQ. HHH pinned Booker at Wrestlemania XIX clean as a sheet, and avoided dropping the belt to Goldberg as long as he could, even getting a PPV pinfall on him in the meantime. Flair dropped the belt to Sting at the very first PPV after he was ready to come back. He felt that since he had spent a year booking to that match, and since he had promised Sting he would, that he owed it to him.

Again, it's worth mentioning that Jim Herd was ordered by TBS executives to put Flair over Luger cleanly at Starrcade '88. Flair used the chair and put his feet on the ropes in the finish to give Luger an out, which he wasn't supposed to even do.

Coffey, HTQ is a good guy, but he's not revealing any secrets. All this stuff is in the Observer, and is usually mapped out in detail. If Dave made a career out of falsehoods, he would have been sued for slander by now, his sources would have stopped feeding him info, and he'd be considered the National Enquirer of wrestling instead of a journalist. I know no one argued his credentials, but sometimes, people do, and I wanted to stop it before it even started.

Guest Some Guy

Bret Hart

Refused to beat Rocky Maivia cleanly in 1997, because he felt it would do too much damage.

Didn't Bret also veto jobbing to HHH in the European Title Tourney in 97 so he could lose to Owen, thus beginning HHH's hatred of Bret?

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Here's one to settle a discussion I'm involved with: What was the motivation that led Crockett to sell JCP to Ted Turner? I was always led to believe Crockett was losing money.

JCP was losing money hand over fist, and it was either sell to Turner, or go out of business.

Guest Some Guy

I know Bret refused to job to HHH in the build to Survivor Series 97.  It wasn't going to lead to a rematch with Bret going over  and it basically was done to screw around with Bret, and he vetoed it

Bret did job to HHH in the build to SS 97, I think it was by DQ but he still lost. It would make zero sense for the world chamo to job cleanly to his PPV opponent's lackey prior to the PPV.

I know Bret refused to job to HHH in the build to Survivor Series 97.  It wasn't going to lead to a rematch with Bret going over  and it basically was done to screw around with Bret, and he vetoed it

Bret did job to HHH in the build to SS 97, I think it was by DQ but he still lost. It would make zero sense for the world chamo to job cleanly to his PPV opponent's lackey prior to the PPV.
Bret was originally going to be pinned in that match and vetoed it for the reasons you stated

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Hart vetoed the pinfall job to Hunter was because it wasn't going to lead to a program between the two, and he felt it made no sense for the World Champion to do a clean job to someone he wasn't then going to work a program with.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

HTQ, I hate to repeat Some Guy's question, but is it true that Bret vetoed jobbing to HHH in the Euro title tourney much earlier that year so he could put over Owen himself? Thanks a bunch.

That's pretty much it. It wasn't so much that Bret didn't want to lose to Hunter, as much as he just wanted to put Owen over to give him credibility.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

I'm still waiting for The Ultimate Warrior to resurface so that Triple H can get his Wrestlemania win back. WARRIOR even no-sold the Pedigree!

Given how petty Hunter can be, that one has to be driving him nuts.

Guest Some Guy

On a similar note I wonder if Hogan ever made the trip to the cementary with referee to drop a leg on Yokozuna's grave to get his win back?

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

On a similar note I wonder if Hogan ever made the trip to the cementary with  referee to drop a leg on Yokozuna's grave to get his win back?

Hogan won the title from Yoko at WM9 though, right?
Yes, but he still wanted to get back the job he did at KOTR later that year. He was always wanting to bring Yoko into WCW so he could get his win back.

Guest Some Guy

In Foley's ROH shoot, he mentions that some people thought he was burying Orton by having Orton show fear of him. Foley, rightly pointed out that the angle wouldn't sell if Orton wasn't atleast somewhat fearful and went on to explain the psychology of the angle. The angle was about two guys who wanted to be a certain person, Foley the happy-go-lucky cheap pop getting guy and Orton the cocky, confident heel. Foley's rationale for coming out of retirment to face him was that it was the only way he could go back to being that guy and Orton needed to fight him so that he could go back to being the cocky heel that he wanted to be.

I can't see why anyone would have critizized Foley for that anlge. He made Orton a star, he had a months long program with him and put him over clean twice.