Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-11-08-ECW-TV] The Sandman farewell / Interview: The Sandman & Woman / Interview: Tommy Dreamer

Loss

• 2 months later...

A blind Sandman says his farwell to ECW. Peaches out and gives Sandman a kiss. Sandman doesn’t care how fat Peaches has got as she is the most important thing to him. Woman out with the excuse me! So this is where Vicki got that. Woman canes Peaches and doesn’t understand why Tod Gordon is all upset about this. Woman threatens to hit Sandman but Tommy Dreamer comes down. Sandman tosses his glasses away and smacks Dreamer in the back of the head. Nice set up. He can see! Woman is pretty awesome in all this. Dreamer shows off the welts on his back. His face is just as messed up. Good promo by Dreamer. You can see why he became an ECW fan favorite.

We cut to a retirement ceremony for The Sandman. He has both eyes bandaged and is wearing a suit and sunglasses. Peaches doesn't know if she should slap Sandman or kiss him, and she decides to kiss him. Sandman is telling her how sad it is that he has lost her, and Woman comes out and takes exception. Peaches calls her a bitch and she canes her across the head! She's about to do the same to Dreamer and we get a swerve to reunite Sandman and Woman. I could see this coming a mile away, but I still thought this was a great angle, possibly my favorite in ECW that I can recall. Woman was fantastic.

We cut to a pre-tape of Woman and Sandman gloating about how they fooled everyone, back when that sort of thing was still novel.

Finally, we get a Dreamer promo showing the welps on his back from the cane shots. Not as good as the Sandman/Woman stuff, but it seemed sincere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The high watermark for ECW to this point, or maybe any point. Peaches informing Sandman that she's "changed" since he last saw her, and Sandman's response ("Peaches, I don't care how fat you've gotten..."), were LOL-worthy. I had totally forgotten about that. Woman clobbers Peaches with a Singapore cane, Sandman "blindly" takes out Tod Gordon and is about to feel Woman's wrath when Dreamer makes the save. Off come the bandages, off come the shades, and Sandman clobbers Dreamer in the back in an AWESOME-looking spot, even if it looked like a sure concussion. Styles for the first time in his life actually explains everything well--they got Dreamer to dedicate his career to them, so he could take out Tommy Cairo for them, and lured Peaches back to take her out as well.

Woman and Sandman gloat in a tremendous promo, as Woman dedicates cigarettes to all their enemies--Dreamer, Cairo, Peaches, and the fans. "All your worries...up in smoke."

A truly gruesome-looking Dreamer cuts a response. Kind of pandering, but the verisimilitude of the bruises and fat lip sort of masks anything Dreamer says.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-11-08-ECW-TV] The Sandman farewell / Interview: The Sandman & Woman / Interview: Tommy Dreamer