Pro Wrestling Only

Eddie vs Rey from Smackdown

Just a warning because I know there are Rey Mysterio and Eddie fans who populate this board. Eddie vs Rey was great. It was slower paced than usual but was used effectively in giving the match an epic like feel to it. The match felt like a real struggle.

I would reccomend people setting their VCRs for it.

I'm on the fence about it. A great match, yes, but they were building how much Rey wants redemption against Eddy the entire night. What does Rey do? He wrestles Eddy the first ten minutes.

A great standalone match, but given the story they were supposed to be telling, not really. If that makes any sense.

Guest Flyboy

Yet I hear from a lot of people that it was easily one of their worst outings in recent memory.

Probably since people/fans tend to get their sights set to high on such matches.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

I think the fued has been blown off.

and are these people who speak poorly of the matchup the same people who thought JBL/Taker was a match of the year nominee?

Guest Kilgore Trout

Yet I hear from a lot of people that it was easily one of their worst outings in recent memory.

Wow. I never knew that people took what they read in spoiler reports seriously.

Actually it was for the reason JHawk listed above you, Flyboy. It didn't fit the context of the storyline. And HOW OFTEN IS EDDIE GONNA HAVE TO JOB TO REY BEFORE THE DAMN FEUD BLOWS OFF?!

I think the feud has been blown off. I think Eddy should have gone over in the end. It wouldn't have damaged Rey in the slightest, and with babyface champs, they need to be building up strong heels right now in the worst way.

Has Eddie ever beaten Rey? Ever? He was supposed to at Havoc initially but Eddie apparantly vetoed that or something.

I like how Eddie didn't beat him though. Maybe this'll send him even more over the edge.

Deathvalleydriver has taken to this match more than others so people may want to check out that thread as well.

I disagree there with the thought that there wasn't enough hate in this match particulary the beginning. You could sense a s***blizzard in the air. Just because there wasn't brawling doesn't mean the hate wasn't there. It can get tiresome after a while when people lose their heads in the ring and punch aimlessly just because a feud has reached its molten point. Eddie seemed to be playing mind games at the beginning and Rey wasn't going to get in a punching match where there's a good chance he's not going win.

I felt the hate. Eddie brought the evil hate with the vicious back work and the punches were there when an opportunity presented himself. They just didn't let the hate take them into a full fledged brawl.

Those said people need to be brainbuster suplexed by Eddy on a really, really hard surface.

SD match blew away WrestleMania one. Tough to compare it to Halloween Havoc 97. HH97 was a spotfest, but SD match had the same feel of Eddy/JBL from JD 04. As Dean Rasmussen mentioned, it quite nicely turned into a Memphis slugfest towards the end too.

I disagree there with the thought that there wasn't enough hate in this match particulary the beginning. You could sense a s***blizzard in the air. Just because there wasn't brawling doesn't mean the hate wasn't there. It can get tiresome after a while when people lose their heads in the ring and punch aimlessly just because a feud has reached its molten point. Eddie seemed to be playing mind games at the beginning and Rey wasn't going to get in a punching match where there's a good chance he's not going win.

I felt the hate. Eddie brought the evil hate with the vicious back work and the punches were there when an opportunity presented himself. They just didn't let the hate take them into a full fledged brawl.

See, the way they hyped this up during the show is why I disagree with you. Rey said it was about redemption and not about winning. So why did he just casually walk to the ring and let Eddy play mindgames for nearly ten minutes? For a guy who was supposed to be hellbent on redemption, he sure decided redemption was best served without actually trying to redeem anything.

MOTYC. My WWE MOTY. I downloaded it but I have a DVD copy of Smackdown coming next week and will pass along to Will. Fuck Angle/Michaels and Benjamin/Michaels, this was the real deal. Rey and Eddy are head and shoulders above anyone else in the WWE.

Tim

See, the way they hyped this up during the show is why I disagree with you. Rey said it was about redemption and not about winning. So why did he just casually walk to the ring and let Eddy play mindgames for nearly ten minutes? For a guy who was supposed to be hellbent on redemption, he sure decided redemption was best served without actually trying to redeem anything.
I just saw the last match of Smackdown which of course was Eddie vs Rey so I can't comment on how they built it up during the show. Ironically, I didn't tape it either even though I had two chances to do so.

Without going back to watch the match I'll try to comment on it.

Wasn't Rey a little more focused coming down to the ring? He wasn't as jovial as he usually was with the fans. There was more of a concentration/focus on his walk down to the ring. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

See, that's what I like. Now don't get me wrong. If Benoit and Sullivan had decided to do the same thing Rey vs Eddie did here at the beginning of their Great American Bash match it wouldn't have worked but here I'm finding I like how they went about it. Eddie didn't want to make a mistake and lose yet another bout to Rey. Rey who is not really a brawler started the match just the way his entrance would seem to dictate. He's more focused, more concerned and more angry but he's not going to allow that to do something he is not strong in. Both didn't let their emotions do them in by taking them off of their gameplan. It was a change of pace and a nice breath of fresh air.

So Rey did say it was about redemption and not winning? Well, I see where you're coming from there. I don't agree with Rey saying that quote since if you think about it the ultimate redemption for Rey is a victory over Eddie.

So going by the assumption that Rey was telling the truth with that quote it is a little surprising he never took a chair or something and just starting wailing away on Eddie's ribs with it. He did seek redemption at certain opportunities such as when he'd hit Eddie's ribs and nail a few punches in when he normally wouldn't but I see where you're coming from here. Maybe the only weakness in what now may be my favourite WWE Eddie Guerrero match.

Now let's just hope they don't send Eddie or Rey to Raw. After the draft picks are over this week is the trade window closed? I want to know when I can sleep easily knowing that Eddie and Rey are safe on Smackdown.