Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-09-01-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lawler does a great promo, but why was he up and doing an interview in the same television show? As well-performed as all this stuff was, it also feels awfully desperate.

I have no idea how true this is but I have read they wanted to head off calls to the police. On the other hand, senior citizen Eddie Marlin is walking around fine and dandy after being brained with a chair and beaten down 5 days earlier, so maybe that's just how Memphis rolls.

Lawler is awesome, of course, and is sporting a nasty bump above his right eyebrow. He basically threatens to stalk Eddie Gilbert and gain his revenge outside of the world of wrestling, the same way Gilbert tried to do to him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The word is that the Memphis P.D. were getting several calls about the attempted live vehicular homicide. Lawler went out there, basically, to keep the cops cool and save Eddie's ass from them. They could have done this from the backstage area with Lawler being iced down and attended to but this was a live TV show and they didnt have time (or just flat didnt) think of it.

• 1 year later...

As always, the King comes through just when he's needed most. If this was an attempt to save Eddie from the cops, it obviously succeeded, and promoted the match for Monday night at the same time. I don't think the mechanics of wrestling angles were on his mind at all; his top heel was going to the clink if he didn't get out there and get the cops off his back pronto. Even if it cost him a week's business by basically killing the angle dead, there was nothing else Lawler could have done.

I liked how Marlin didn't bow to the pressure to reinstate the Gilberts right away; after all, if you're fired by a promotion and then try to kill its top star, you should at least stay fired for an hour or so, even in Memphis.

What the hell could Cowabunga, of all life forms, have to say about this? I'm off to find out!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Eddie Marlin and Brickhouse Brown are with Dave Brown and they are joined by a limping Jerry Lawler. He tells Eddie Gilbert that it’s going to take more than him and a car to put him out of commission. He then tells Eddie Marlin not to fire them because he wants them and Brickhouse wants them, but not as much as he wants them! What he did there has nothing to do with pro wrestling, grudges or fighting, that’s someone trying to kill somebody! Two can play that game though. He tells them to be at the Mid-South Coliseum on Monday, and he better start watching out for him and looking over his shoulder from the time he gets into Memphis! He’s hot now and Eddie Gilbert’s got hell to pay!

Bar some grazing or bruising over his right eye you wouldn’t know he’d nearly been killed by looking at him. I do wish this had been sold more, but if people were ringing up the studio or the police saying they’d witnessed an attempted murder, I suppose he had to go back on TV to show that he’s alive and ‘well’. This is one extreme way to build a match for the Coliseum mind and the match is happening far too soon! Despite this though, Lawler was excellent as ever in his promo.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-09-01-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler