Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-09-01-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Master Blasters video / Interview: Sting

Loss

• 2 months later...

WWF-style hype video where we see the feet of Al Greene and one Kevin Nash.

Immediately after, we cut to Jim Ross interviewing Sting. Sting utters the phrase "Somebody That I Used To Know". Someone PLEASE make a highlight video of this program set to the Gotye song. I will say nice things about you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cant say from what I saw that I would be excited about the Master Blasters coming in.

Someone should analyze the scorpion angle and see how many inconsistencies end up happening as a result of it.

Overall this was my favorite disc of 1990 so far. Some classic stuff (All Japan 9/1, lawler getting run over), some frustrating (follow up to Lawler, Aja/Bull), some better than would have been expected (Hogan/Quake, Rude/Warrior) and some just flat out wrestlecrap (Black Scorpion, Cowabunga, Sam Houston hotline).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

An interesting method to debut a hot new tag team, showing their boots as they walk. What is this preoccupation WCW has right now with not showing new wrestlers' faces?

As for the man who started this trend (the Black Scorpion), if the angle had stopped here, regardless of who the Scorpion would have ended up being, it would have been all right. Okay, so it's Al Perez. Sting beats him here, he's forced to unmask, his "clues" are found out to be a bunch of crap (since he was in Texas wrestling in '86, not California), and we either continue the program or don't. It was the constant fakeouts and the multiple Scorpions, some of whom were apparently sorcerers, that made the angle so cringeworthy. I'm actually looking forward to seeing for myself just how bad it got.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

We see two pairs of feet walking through the junkyard and that’s it for the Master Blasters so far!

Jim Ross reminds everyone that Sting will be defending the World Heavyweight title on national television for the first time Wednesday night against the unknown commodity that is the Black Scorpion. Sting says that he doesn’t know who he is, just that he’s from California in 1986 and he is someone that he used to know. The Scorpion is letting little hints out, but he doubts he will find out who he is until he gets him in the ring. He’s not sure how to prepare for a match like this so does lie in bed at night thinking about it. Wondering who is he? What’s his background? What’s his style in the ring? It’s definitely on his mind. National TV is the best place to defend the World title though because he wants the whole world to be see, and he’s not going to let anybody down because it took him a long time to get the belt.

This is hardly Flair doing the great final promo on the last TV show before his World title match on PPV or at a Clash. At least he is a bit more serious here saying he’s concerned about not knowing who the Scorpion is.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-09-01-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Master Blasters video / Interview: Sting