Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-01-19-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Lawler is wearing a cardigan sweater with no undershirt, which is a pretty daring fashion choice. Lawler says one day the Fabs are going to get smart and get rid of Cornette. Lawler takes exception to the Fabs being the best Memphis team ever -- that would be him and Dundee. The titles are on the line on Monday night, and Jeff Jarrett will be in their corner to watch Cornette. Where do I buy?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not commenting on promos again but I was way off on this one and I don't know what was going on. I guess I had Lawler burnout from 1990 as this was way better than I gave it credit for the first time as Lawler rallies the crowd up against cornette and the Fabs.

• 1 year later...

Just your standard Lawler studio promo, which is gold. I love the mention of Jimmy Hart along with the likes of Downtown Bruno and Reggie B. Fine. The Colonel may be gone, but the hatred lives on, at least on Lawler's end. (I notice that Lawler didn't mention his own manager from less than a year before, Ronnie P. Gossett.)

Not to nitpick, but I'd call the Fabs the best full-time team in recent Memphis history. That said, Lawler and Dundee actually held a recognized World tag team title with the AWA belts in '87, so you could argue that they were more successful.

I know that Corny provably wasn't in the mood to talk much about WCW even if Jarrett allowed it, but it almost seems like they're trying to say that the Fabs are Corny's first-ever truly elite clients. Just once before this feud's over, I'd like to hear even a veiled reference to the MX, especially since Memphis fans would be familiar with all three members of Corny's version.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-01-19-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler