Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-16-WCW-Pro] Interview: Ric Flair

Loss

• 1 month later...

Flair hypes a cage match nowhere in particular against Sting where El Gigante will be the referee. TBS was hyping this same match at The Omni, and now the syndicated shows are hyping it, yet there's no date, no town, no method for seeing it. What a tragically inept promotion.

• 4 weeks later...

In fairness, that was how the Events Center was being run in the WWF after localized promos were done away with (for the most part). Mooney ran down the card, and the wrestlers cut generic green-screen promos on their opponent, which had to have saved untold amounts of time. That said, I'm guessing WCW's local show advertising wasn't even that smooth. I'm amused that Flair no longer even bothers using the Spanish name for the giant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

If this came from syndicated Pro, why would they mention a venue or a specific city? That would be counterproductive, because the match would be coming to any number of cities around the country. There's enough incompetence that we can blame WCW for as it is; let's not start obsessing over other things just for the sake of trashing them.

I'm guessing that the Stinger was Arsenio's guest at some point, and Arsenio referred to Sting as the champion. Knowing WCW, they picked on a rerun that had been taped while Sting was champion just for Flair to be able to make that point. (I know I just said not to trash WCW over every little thing, but I can actually see them being stupid enough to do something like this.)

With Flair not choosing to use El Gigante to describe our friendly neighborhood Argentine giant, I wonder if some people got confused and thought that Andre was coming in to referee some WCW bouts. It certainly wouldn't surprise me, and I thought that was one of the reasons why they made sure to refer to him as "El Gigante" in the first place.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-16-WCW-Pro] Interview: Ric Flair