Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-30-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Barry Windham

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dusty is not going to ask the questions fed to him by WCW. Dusty channeling Okerlund with the questions. Rhodes thinks Windham has not lived up to his potential as yet become World Champion. Barry says it is time to take care of himself. Horsemen seem to be going their own way now. We get a Sid mention.

• 2 months later...

I like Dusty as an interviewer and can't recall him doing it before. I always liked how they built Windham's potential and athletic ability throughout his career even when he was a heel. I would have liked to have seen where this stuff was leading as this was an interesting start that could have been a cool angle.

• 1 year later...

I think this might have been the first step in preparing the fans for Flair's eventual departure from the company. I'm not sure how they would have reversed course if he'd decided to stay at the last minute, though. I say all of this because it's strange for Dusty to want to break up the Horsemen as part of the normal course of business after they scored as clean a win as they ever had at WrestleWar.

Dusty and Barry seemed to be having a good time with each other here. I think the segment was meant to tease lingering tensions between Dusty and the group, with a physical showdown at least possible. But they made no attempt to pull it off; it seemed almost an older brother teasing his younger brother about the big, bad company only he thinks he's keeping. Still, it was nice to hear JJ and Tully mentioned again, even in passing.

I got a kick out of the ending, where Barry paid Dusty a backhanded compliment about how good of an interviewer he is. Dusty, of course, took it as the truth, smiling at Barry as he walked away. Whether intentional or not, it was good comedy.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-30-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Barry Windham