Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-05-04-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Ric Flair

Loss

• 2 months later...

I suspect Paul E. was behind that note. Flair downplays the idea of Fujinami winning, either in Tokyo or at SuperBrawl, to almost Lawler-ian levels. I think WCW was banking on the tag title dream match selling this show more than Flair/Fujinami, but we haven't seen a glimmer of hype, build, or angles for that one. Flair delivers an over-the-top hype job calling it the greatest PPV and most spectacular wrestling event ever. I don't think all the "Super Sunday" talk would fly with the NFL today.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That's because there isn't, Soup. Fujinami's never competed here regularly, and even if he had he can't (or doesn't) speak enough English to get his side of the story across. So we're left with vintage big-time Flair, and while he tries his hardest, that's not really enough. They're not even bothering with the NWA title vs. WCW title angle, so what this boils down to is Flair giving a nobody a shot at the World title out of the goodness of his heart. If he wanted to do that, why not wrestle George South or Zan Panzer? Heyman tries his best at the very end to put Fujinami over as Japan's equal to Flair, but there's not a soul that's even window shopping, let alone buying.

I wonder why Missy ran off just as she was starting the interview. I think we'll find out in our next segment!

• GSR changed the title to [1991-05-04-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Ric Flair