Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture Episode 12

puropotsy

If you dont think I've body image issues after seeing Fassbender's penis in Shame with the other half today then you have another thing coming.

Seriously I've been waiting for this topic to be covered by someone for a while now. However it is possibly too sprawling to cover in one podcast and probably deserves a sequel some day.

Glad you mentioned the divas. Bix brought to my attention that Sharon wrote an amazing little article here about what they go through: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/910798-...-wwe-some-slack .

I thought there is more to be said about WWE's merchandising to children from the 80s on of wrestlers being modelled as superheros (Superstars being the in house term of course). Like a lot of toys creating an unrealistic body image.

I have to say I was somewhat shocked by neither of you bringing up the career story of Chris Masters on the podcast as obviously Dylan was on the ground floor in pointing out how much he was emerging as a worker and for Dylan's efforts got SO much shit and resistance for it as people thought a body builder guy could never be a work rate guy. In addition to Master's being probably the primary case study of how much wrestlers are legitimately head fucked by the WWE system and presentation philosophy.

Cheers as always, lads.

Haven't listened yet but this is a great idea.

FWIW Masters says that when he got smaller and HHH cut the promo, he it wasn't a steroid thing, it was because he was distance running every morning to build up endorphins after kicking his painkiller habit. There have definitely been stories of him having mental issues when trying to get off steroids, though. I can see both being true.

Haven't listened yet but this is a great idea.

FWIW Masters says that when he got smaller and HHH cut the promo, he it wasn't a steroid thing, it was because he was distance running every morning to build up endorphins after kicking his painkiller habit. There have definitely been stories of him having mental issues when trying to get off steroids, though. I can see both being true.

I hadn't realized that Bix. I mentioned at F4W that perhaps we should just do a whole Chris Masters podcast.

I do think HHH making fun of him on tv was an all-time low thing for him to do, almost making the Katie Vick angle classy.

Very though provoking show and it is an issue that I have dealt with on committing so much time on a hobby that I know has very corrupt aspects. Dave, my wife and I have also struggle with weight issues since we have been together and usually are able to lose a lot of weight but not sustain the loss due to lack of commitment to a balanced healthy diet. What you spoke on about the differences in the way people treat you is especially true and while wrestling is a definite extreme of the problem, I would say the U.S. and Canada as a whole has an image problem to some degree.

I'm surprised you guys didn't bring up Missy Hyatt since she's admited to being diagnoosed with body dysmorphia and talked about how that's the reason she had so much plastic surgery over the years.

What ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

She's done so many interviews & junk over the years that I can't remember which one it was she mentioned it in. I want to say it was in one of her columns on wrestling observer or one of her podcast aperances on the site whear she talked about it but i'm not 100% on that.

I'm surprised you guys didn't bring up Missy Hyatt since she's admited to being diagnoosed with body dysmorphia and talked about how that's the reason she had so much plastic surgery over the years.

What ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

She's done so many interviews & junk over the years that I can't remember which one it was she mentioned it in. I want to say it was in one of her columns on wrestling observer or one of her podcast aperances on the site whear she talked about it but i'm not 100% on that.

That's so sad. She ruined herself with the surgeries. She was so gorgeous, she didn't need any work done.

I just listened to the body dysmorphia podcast today and think you both did a good job covering most of the bases. I would clarify that on the WWE's board of doctors there is a sports psychiatrist and a life skills consultant, so there are people that WWE performers could consult on such issues, but I doubt many use the former for fear of Vince McMahon getting wind of it. Also, one interesting tangent not touched upon is how some performers in the past were encouraged to get fatter (most notably Yokozuna before his weight got completely out of control, but also women like Bull Nakano and Aja Kong) to portray more of a monster in the ring. Also, lots of bulky guys (most notably Johnny Grunge and Umaga) took steroids and HGH due to peer pressure and to look more cut, not to mention all the reformed drug addicts who felt the need to keep taking roids to continue to have the right look for wrestling (most notably William Regal, but Eddy became much more muscular after kicking his serious recreational drugs, prescription pills and alcohol problems).

I just listened to the body dysmorphia podcast today and think you both did a good job covering most of the bases. I would clarify that on the WWE's board of doctors there is a sports psychiatrist and a life skills consultant, so there are people that WWE performers could consult on such issues, but I doubt many use the former for fear of Vince McMahon getting wind of it. Also, one interesting tangent not touched upon is how some performers in the past were encouraged to get fatter (most notably Yokozuna before his weight got completely out of control, but also women like Bull Nakano and Aja Kong) to portray more of a monster in the ring. Also, lots of bulky guys (most notably Johnny Grunge and Umaga) took steroids and HGH due to peer pressure and to look more cut, not to mention all the reformed drug addicts who felt the need to keep taking roids to continue to have the right look for wrestling (most notably William Regal, but Eddy became much more muscular after kicking his serious recreational drugs, prescription pills and alcohol problems).

These are all great points. I didn't realize that about the sports psychiatrist

• 1 year later...