Mark Henry

jpchicago23

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Staples

Sep 22nd 1996 Mark Henry Def. (Sub) Jerry Lawler

It's probably been noted, but it's so bizarre thinking how long Henry has been around. Especially considering some of the shit he's been put through, on-screen and off.

I didn't get into Henry until 2003, but as I've gone back and watched Youtube stuff I have no idea what the hell I was missing. There's a 2000 match against Viscera that was insanely great, with Henry taking this lunatic bump into the steps that should have made me fall madly in love when it happened.

I think I was pretty early to the Henry love party, but it feels like I was several years too late.

Mark Henry vs Bobby Lashley, Smackdown 28th April 2006

This was a freaking MIRACLE match. I wish the VQ on the Youtube rip wasn't so sh*tty since I'd have loved to have seen Henry's facials and taunts more clearly. He makes this work by keeping score of every time he out-strengths Lashley and mocking him, working the infallible "try to knock down Henry" angle, and generally being awesome. The moment where Lashley hits the first big cutoff clothesline and Henry doesn't go down is great.

This also speaks to the point I made about Lashley in the other thread too. Think of the calibre of worker that was required to get something remotely interesting out of this lug. Cena. Finlay. Henry. Not to mention Umaga, Vince, Steve Austin and a boatload of shenanigans in a big group effort. Dude was just astoundingly mediocre.

Yeah there are some low quality ones I replace with full shows when I get to that point. Marked down the ones that need replaced and I think that Lashley one was actually the worst one. Problem is you reach a point where you can tell Henry didn't have a lot of fans since the individual matches become hard to find. Added a bunch more today and will do more tomorrow.

Hey I'll watch a match too.

Mark Henry vs Lance Storm from Smackdown 2002

Don't have high hopes. Starts with Storm cutting a Storm promo, didn't want to be redundant and call it boring, saying he is going to beat an American. A Henry video showing him lifting a barbell that was considered unliftable follows. Bill Kazmaier puts over the lift saying no one had brought it up to their shoulders in one movement prior to this. Watching it back after he said that it is a good thing he did. Wouldn't have been good for the people behind him had it slipped from his hand. Match start with Henry throwing Storm into the corner from a lock up. Storm avoids a shot in the corner, goes to throw a punch but has a second thought and pulls back to regain his composure. Storm goes for a headlock which Henry lifts him out of and throws him into the ropes. Storm slides down and through Henry's legs to avoid running into the human wall. Goes for a punch though which is ill advised as the big man grabs his hand as it is about to land and Henry powers him down to one knee so it basically a one handed test of strength spot. Henry goes for a gorilla press slam dropping Storm behind the back but Storm counters. He ends up between Henry's legs and tries to pull Henry down from above the knees looking to roll him up for the pin. An impossible task and Henry lifts Storm by the neck from mid ring and carries Storm over to the corner. Storm bitch slaps Henry which gets an "awww" from the crowd and is rewarded with a backhand clothesline and Storm drops from the top rope to the outside. Now Henry meets Storm on the outside and throws Storm back in the ring. They do this from a standing position where Storm is standing facing the ring. This is a combination of Storm jumping and Henry assisting. It looks like Storm barely makes it but watching it again it isn't the case. Storm intentionally lands that way uses his hand to brace himself and back flips in. It is a really impressive spot and the most I've ever been impressed by something done by Storm. Henry looks like a killer at this point. Storm begs Henry off after he is back in the ring. Storm pokes Henry in the eye and pulls him into the corner by his hair. Henry eats some chops and soft punches before throwing Storm out of the corner over half way across the ring. Henry runs him over. Henry goes for a bear hug. Storm with a bite to the forehead to get out of it. Storm throws a couple weak punches and tries to whip Henry into the corner but doesn't have the strength. Henry whips Storm into the corner and Storm hits shoulder first into the ring iron. Follows this with a gorilla press into the worlds strongest slam. Rather than go for the pin Henry goes for the Vader Bomb. Storm avoids, quickly gets outside and hits a nice missile drop kick where he doesn't climb but just jumps and up and then down for the kick. Storm follows that with a superkick and pins Henry 1,2,3.

Overall I would have prefered Henry winning after the world strongest slam but Storm more than held his own this match. The missile drop kick after it was nice as well so it wasn't a total loss. I liked it a lot more than I was expecting to going into it and my only complaint with Storm would be the punches. He made a hell of a good rag doll on the spots where Henry threw him down. Only a 3 minute match so worth the watch for sure.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdib7m_ma...rt#.Ue6c3I3VBOg