Pro Wrestling Only

1980s Wrestling Party Podcast #3

goodhelmet

The 1980s Wrestling Party returns Tuesday night at 9est / 8cst as we dive into Disc 3. Looks like Crusher Blackwell is all over this bad boy and Jumbo Tsuruta begins to make his mark. Don't look now but MOTHER FUCKIN' STEVE O tries to redeem himself from a boring as fuck Disc 2 performance. We also get what might be Da Crusher's swan song in a ring. Let me know if you are interested in joining me for another Wrestling Party!

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Rick Martel (12/8/83)

Crusher Blackwell vs. Da Crusher (No DQ) (2/26/84)

Crusher Blackwell & Ken Patera vs. Blackjack Mulligan & Jerry Lawler (3/4/84)

Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Billy Robinson (3/11/84)

Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Jim Brunzell (3/15/84)

Da Crusher & Greg Gagne vs. Crusher Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Kaissey (Cage Match) (3/25/84)

Crusher Blackwell & Ken Patera vs. Steve O & Buck Zumhofe (2/3 Falls) (4/15/84)

I'm pretty sure I liked the first Martel vs Bock more than the second, but then I thought the test of strength was an epic thing and you guys couldn't get over the homoerotic camera angles. Likely one of those "watching in a group" things. Regardless, they have three great matches to come.

Johnny obviously read my DVDVR post from July on Crusher vs Crusher and stole my Popeye/Bluto comment. I've been Menciaed.

Part of me wants to reframe my recent friendly disagreements with Will in the context of Rush.

I thought the Lawler/Mulligan tag was the best Blackwell spotlight match on the set.

Johnny is easily the world's best Billy Graham in 1987/Mongo but Will/Shoe is a pretty good two man team during the Jumbo/Robinson match.

I liked the Brunzell match more than you guys did, and you liked the Brunzell match a lot.

I will be SHOCKED if you guys don't love the cage match even though it did nothing at all for me. It's my #122. It's all violence and next to no story, but the violence is some of the best on the set.

Hey, there's a call out that is actually to me. And yeah, i hate cheating babyfaces, except for in one or two matches on the set when they're really clever about it (I think there's a Fabs vs Saito/Bock match which is great because it's really smartly done). I can't get my head into a 1984 Minneapolis Reprobate who beats his wife to appreciate Gagne on that level, I guess. It just feels like Greg Gagne overcompensating and trying to get whatever heat he can because he's fucking Greg Gagne.

And I like him in parts of this set, but not in any of the BABYFACE REVENGE matches. Actually, there is one Greg Unleashed match I like a lot. I forget which one it is though. It's fairly late into the 80s.

It's Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens vs. Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig (6/13/85). Surreal match.

My rankings for these matches

1.) Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Jim Brunzell (3/15/84)

2.) Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Billy Robinson (3/11/84)

3.) Crusher Blackwell & Ken Patera vs. Blackjack Mulligan & Jerry Lawler (3/4/84)

4.) Nick Bockwinkel vs. Rick Martel (12/8/83)

5.) Da Crusher & Greg Gagne vs. Crusher Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Kaissey (Cage Match) (3/25/84)

6.) Crusher Blackwell & Ken Patera vs. Steve O & Buck Zumhofe (2/3 Falls) (4/15/84)

7.) Crusher Blackwell vs. Da Crusher (No DQ) (2/26/84)

The Martel finish really didn't bug me so much since it felt like a fluke, a flash thing which Martel immediately popped up from pissed off at. He got surprised and Bock got his shoulders down for three. That said, there are a bunch of better Martel matches even on this disc.

Jumbo vs Brunzell is sitting at my #39. That's the only one on here in my top 50. It also came in #6 on my Disc 3 in my first rankings though i retroactively have Martel vs Brad below it, so there are matches I liked more to come on the disc. Crusher vs Da Crusher is my working #142. The 2/3 falls match is my working #127. The cage match is my working #122.

The only match I'm going to rewatch out of these is the Lawler tag. I could see that edging up, though probably not because "lawler missed a top rope legdrop and hit twenty fist drops in a row." How he sold in the bear-hug might push it up though. i need to see it again. Like I said, I thought it was the best Blackwell performance on the set but I have 5 Blackwell matches in my working top 50 and none of them are this.