Pro Wrestling Only

1980s Wrestling Party Podcast #5

goodhelmet

Tuesday night at 9 est / 8 cst.

I will definitely be joined by my buddy Johnny P (ECW documentary maker and good guy) and I imagine Sorrow will pop in as well. Everyone is welcomed to join in.

These are the matches on deck and with the amount of Brody on here, I am sure I'll need some company to keep me from popping the disc out....

Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito vs. The Fabulous Ones (9/30/84)

Crusher Blackwell vs. Bruiser Brody (9/30/84)

Crusher Blackwell vs. Bruiser Brody (No DQ) (10/21/84)

Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito vs. Curt & Larry Hennig (11/8/84)

Crusher Blackwell & King Kong Bundy vs. The Road Warriors (11/22/84)

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Curt Hennig (2/7/85)

Crusher Blackwell vs. Masked Superstar (3/7/85)

I think I like the Russians way more than the Warriors, but I hate Nikita and Ivan squashes because they last forever. I suppose that makes me a nuanced commie.

Anyway, Brody sucks and the Warriors match pretty much sucks (The High Flyers vs Warriors match is actually pretty good).

I like that first tag a lot because it has lots of faces trying to cheat and fail and when they succeed it's a big deal.

Larry Hennig pretty much sucks in 1984 too.

I'm in no doubt. Come on Dylan join us

Looking forward to this part of the set. Probably listen on a replay.

I'm a huge Roadies fan even made a website about them ( see signature). I would never say they were great workers by any means, just fun as hell to watch. Great aura, cool interviews and fun brawls for me. I can see why they are not everybody's cup of tea.

I definitely would of wanted to see a match against the Fabs or Longriders over that Brad vs Martel match. Never liked Rheingans and always thought of him as a curtain jerker with a few nice moves. Pretty boring for my taste.

I also like Brody, just not blind to his faults like some.

5536125[/url]']

I'm in no doubt. Come on Dylan join us

We have plenty of other people ready to jump in. The big disappointing thing about Dylan not joining in is that he helped select the matches. No need in beating a dead horse when you are right there Kris. When we do the results show with Harrington, Dylan can sound off then about the virtues of Brad Rheingans. In the meantime, everyone else who enjoyed being a part of this over the past few weeks is welcome to jump back in. My buddy Eric R is going to join us soon and it has been too long since the Internet has heard his voice. Johnny P will be on tonight. Maybe I can coax the Texan hating Canadian Musgrave back on the show to defend Dino Bravo.

Bummed I don't want to blow off Tim who I talked to a month ago about doing the show.....ok?

Also....

"The big disappointing thing about Dylan not joining in is that he helped select the matches."

I've commented on every match thread at the DVDVR, some of them multiple times, often times explicitly talking about the justification for why marginal matches made the set. I've worked hard to sell certain guys who I have really enjoyed in other threads. I don't think there is a great mystery about where I stand on these matches.

5536159[/url]']

Bummed I don't want to blow off Tim who I talked to a month ago about doing the show.....ok?

Also....

"The big disappointing thing about Dylan not joining in is that he helped select the matches."

I've commented on every match thread at the DVDVR, some of them multiple times, often times explicitly talking about the justification for why marginal matches made the set. I've worked hard to sell certain guys who I have really enjoyed in other threads. I don't think there is a great mystery about where I stand on these matches.

I am not talking about tonight's show. In another thread, you specifically stated this wasn't the thing for you. That is why I am bummed. When you responded to Kris, I didn't take that as you were not going to do tonight's show but would not take part in any show because your immediate response had nothing to do with Tim Noel. I love Tim. I had to wait for Johnny before I could not commit to Tim for tonight. I am working around Johnny P.s schedule. I am not implying you should ditch Tim's show to join ours.

As for discussion at DVDVR, there are people who wait until they see the match before going in there. I thought you would be entertaining to have on the show. If you feel like you would just end up saying the same thing you already typed, yeah probably better to not have you on reading paragraphs. There are people who want you on the show. My post was to show people there are other people worth listening to who will be on in the future. This is more of a fun atmosphere, hence the party moniker. Hope that clears up any confusion.

I am not talking about tonight's show. In another thread, you specifically stated this wasn't the thing for you. That is why I am bummed. When you responded to Kris, I didn't take that as you were not going to do tonight's show but would not take part in any show because your immediate response had nothing to do with Tim Noel. I love Tim. I had to wait for Johnny before I could not commit to Tim for tonight. I am working around Johnny P.s schedule. I am not implying you should ditch Tim's show to join ours.

As for discussion at DVDVR, there are people who wait until they see the match before going in there. I thought you would be entertaining to have on the show. If you feel like you would just end up saying the same thing you already typed, yeah probably better to not have you on reading paragraphs. There are people who want you on the show. My post was to show people there are other people worth listening to who will be on in the future. This is more of a fun atmosphere, hence the party moniker. Hope that clears up any confusion.

General confusion cleared, but I do want to address what's in bold because I'm not clear what you mean here and/or what that has to do with what I have written or these shows

If people are listening to the show, they hear your opinions as they are watching the match if they are following along. For example, I had no idea that Johnny Sorrow didn't like Rheingans-Martel until We were on the podcast. From what I gather, you don't feel the need to get on a podcast and discuss matches you have already written about. My point was that some people don't know what you wrote because they don't venture in those threads until after they have watched the match. Some people like myself prefer to hear about matches instead of reading about matches.

I knew why Johnny didn't like the match from reading his thoughts in the DVDVR thread, which is why I knew he would shit on it during the podcast.

I have zero problem talking matches on a podcast whether I have written about them or not.

I still don't understand what the point is about some people not venturing into the DVDVR threads until after they have watched the matches. It's probably true in many if not most cases, but I don't think it's a bad thing and there are things people can learn from reading others thoughts.