Pro Wrestling Only

1980s Wrestling Party Podcast #5

goodhelmet

I was glad to see your review of the blood bath.

I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the 60 minute match and the first and second Rockers/Loverboys cage matches.

Since I got out ahead of people, I like seeing people go through the set.

Granted, I've enjoyed listening to the podcasts too, so there you go.

I was glad to see your review of the blood bath.

I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the 60 minute match and the first and second Rockers/Loverboys cage matches.

Since I got out ahead of people, I like seeing people go through the set.

Granted, I've enjoyed listening to the podcasts too, so there you go.

I love that blood bath and it was the third time I've seen it (I got Buddy's Goodhelmet comp). I put a lot in that review because it's one of my favorite matches ever. I've seen your favorite The Brawl in St. Paul :lol: but not the 87 cage. I enjoyed it at the time but have grown to look at structure much more in the last few years since I watched it. I probably won't have it that high. Bock-Hennig will be completely new to me. I'm looking forward to it for sure. I'm hoping to start up disc 8 tonight after some Geology lab midterm studying <_ .>

When all this is over, I would like to do a show with Dylan framed as a debate on Brad Rheingans. Two teams, one who think he sucked and the other to defend him. I wonder what the audience for a show like that would be. Talking niche of a niche of a niche of a niche there.

I am kidding of course. I will give that Martel match every chance.

Had an all star cast on tonight. We had TWO WON Hall of Fame voters with the return of Dave Musgrave and Kris Z. We had double Johnny's with Johnny P and Johnny Sorrow.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...6382&cmd=tc

Show is up now and Dylan will be SHOCKED~! to hear that the final voting on the matches we watched tonight had little to no consensus or groupthink. I talked to Johnny P and he is ready for another round tomorrow night so we are going to knock one out again tomorrow for anyone who wants to join for Part 2 of Disc 4.

Had an all star cast on tonight. We had TWO WON Hall of Fame voters with the return of Dave Musgrave and Kris Z. We had double Johnny's with Johnny P and Johnny Sorrow.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...6382&cmd=tc

Show is up now and Dylan will be SHOCKED~! to hear that the final voting on the matches we watched tonight had little to no consensus or groupthink. I talked to Johnny P and he is ready for another round tomorrow night so we are going to knock one out again tomorrow for anyone who wants to join for Part 2 of Disc 4.

Or......

Posted Image

"Join Will, Dave, Kris, Johnny P, and yours TRULY ....Johnny Sorrow....as we dive FURTHUR into the AWA set....Daddy!"

Since I work Wednesday Nights, actually getting paid to talk and fool marks..I give you this image of the Big Man...to gaze on as you talk more AWA. B)

I really liked Fabs vs Saito/Bock but I had it at #36, which is more about 1-35 being stacked. It's one I probably need to rewatch. I also have High Flyers vs Saito/Bock super high relative to this and no one else seems to have liked it nearly as much as me, so I need to rewatch that one in comparison.

I've got the Brody matches in the 130s, a few spots apart. I'll rewatch things like the Lawler/Mulligan tag, but I don't think I'm going to be rewatching these.

Johnny (Sorrow) pointing out that Larry was using heel tactics since he'd been a heel is pretty much his finest analytical moment. It was also good of him to admit that he doesn't care if a match makes any sense so long if he likes the work. That's ok, since it's all subjective, but it's definitely something to acknowledge from the get go. Anyway, I hated the moment where Larry let the heels take over after a shoulder block collision, which you guys didn't talk about. I've seen him do that in other matches too and it bugged the hell out of me. I mainly thought the second half wasn't nearly as good as the first half. I think this was somewhere in my 120s though I do have a Larry Hennig match in my top 50. I suppose I can watch this thing again.

People on DVDVR liked the Warriors match way more than I did. I thought there was a lot of Hawk being lost and people seemed to think that it was more of a "Hawk kayfabe not knowing what to do vs the giant," and I didn't see it that way at all. I'll probably have to rewatch this as well since I have it really low. (Also, I hated both Demolition and the Road Warriors as a kid, fwiw. Huge Rockers fan. Young Pistols fan. Big Steiners fan. Big Hart Foundation fan, and weirdly enough a big Enforcers and then Arn/Eaton fan in 91-2). I have the Roadies vs High Flyers way higher, but still not in my top 50.

DVDVR is temporarily down for me, so I have no idea what I thought of Hennig/Bock (I mainly have time to listen to these at work), but I have it as my working #42 just under Crusher Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Kaissey vs. Baron Von Raschke & Mad Dog Vachon (Taped Fist Match) (3/13/83). You guys weren't a lot of help, and then I actually droned you out for a while by listening to Aldo Nova on youtube. Ok DVDVR is back: Apparently I thought that there were some sloppy bits but I was able to connect the dots in a way that I bought it when I didn't in the Warriors match.

I had high hopes for the Superstar match and I liked everything they did but there just wasn't enough of it. The work was all a means to the end of getting to the postmatch. On a set like this, it doesn't go that far. How much Superstar/Murdoch do we actually have?

On the disc I had:

4. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Curt Hennig (2/7/85)

5. Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito vs. The Fabulous Ones (9/30/84)

9. Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito vs. Curt & Larry Hennig (11/8/84)

10. Crusher Blackwell vs. Masked Superstar (3/7/85)

11. Crusher Blackwell vs. Bruiser Brody (9/30/84)

12. Crusher Blackwell vs. Bruiser Brody (No DQ) (10/21/84)

13. Crusher Blackwell & King Kong Bundy vs. The Road Warriors (11/22/84)

But I was watching a ton of Olympics and not sleeping due to the new new born when I was watching those or something, so I know my ranking at the time was a blur. That said, I think that Bock vs Hennig might be another example of a match that doesn't do so well in this format. On the other hand, watching Blackwell eat offense and do his stoic frozen fat man comebacks seem to be more fun to watch in a group.

Actually, Will's going to save me from rewatching the Bundy match by agreeing with how I feel about it, so thanks for that.

It was also good of him to admit that he doesn't care if a match makes any sense so long if he likes the work. That's ok, since it's all subjective, but it's definitely something to acknowledge from the get go.

That's not exactly what I said, dude. I said that when I'm drawn into a tag match by the work of the wrestlers, I don't notice things like "AWA style or Southern Style, etc."

Listened to this today. Another good show that made for an enjoyable two hours of wrestling watching. I think this was the weakest bunch of matches watched so far. Enjoyed Johnny P challenging some opinions like the Sheiks even if I really enjoyed their matches.

My rankings of stuff on this podcast:

1. Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito vs. The Fabulous Ones (9/30/84) - Really fun match that showcased the style of AWA tags wonderfully

2. Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito vs. Curt & Larry Hennig (11/8/84) - Lesser version of the above match but still really fun ( probably will end up in middle of my ballot)

3. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Curt Hennig (2/7/85) - More than likely the weakest of their matches but still good besides some awkward middle portions

4. Crusher Blackwell vs. Masked Superstar (3/7/85) - Not a bad match but ending was abrupt. Post match was really hot though

5. Crusher Blackwell vs. Bruiser Brody (9/30/84) - Better than I expected but still fairly abrupt and one of my least favorite Black well matches (bottom 25 contender)

6. Crusher Blackwell vs. Bruiser Brody (No DQ) (10/21/84) - Pretty shitty stuff and meandering brawling (bottom 10 contender)

7. Crusher Blackwell & King Kong Bundy vs. The Road Warriors (11/22/84) - Hated this match and think if it was generic people in the match, it would get shit on. Way too many awkward sequences. Bottom 10 lock.

• 3 weeks later...

Since DVDR is down, I'm going to have to post my match thoughts here. At the interval. Johnny P's dissention on the universal Blackwell love was interesting. If there is a criticism of heel Blackwell, it's that he's too generous -- he's almost the anti-Brody, sells so much but doesn't necessarily get himself over as a lethal threat -- although his offense is pretty great. Good big splashes and high intensity.

Chad and I discussed this a bit on our last show. I am definitely pro-Blackwell though, at this stage I think it's very close between him and Vader as "greatest big man".

Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito vs. The Fabulous Ones (9/30/84)

Very good match. I liked that the heels got in a good deal of offense and Siato looked pretty great on top. The switcheroo and playing possum was a great finish. Good start ot the evening.

"Those aren't small packages" - Musgrave.

Those two women in the crowd giving the finger was awesome.

B

Crusher Blackwell vs. Bruiser Brody (9/30/84)

Here we go, Brody now. It is quite cool watching him kick Blackwell in the head. Nothing much to write home about though,

C-

Crusher Blackwell vs. Bruiser Brody (No DQ) (10/21/84)

I find it really hard to get into Brody matches. His offense is much less enjoyable here and Blackwell gets much less offense in yet. The No DQ gimmick scarcely registers too. I quite enjoyed Blackwell's fat-man hulking up. There were times I was actively bored during this though.

D

Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito vs. Curt & Larry Hennig (11/8/84)

Bock and Saito is a team I can really get into, so is a match with Curt Hennig playing FIP. Larry didn't look especially great on the hot tag, but the heels sell it all pretty well. Spinning toe hold! Bock sells it amazingly too. Bock nailing Curt on the birdge of the nose with his forearm was sensational. This sequence between Hennig and Bock is the sort of matwork I can get into.

Second match we're seeing know with "reverse" Southern tag structure, with a heel-in-peril section following a FIP section.Larry does a nice elbow drop. Saito takes an awesome backdrop from Curt at one point. Match seems to slow down a lot when Larry becomes the FIP in the last quarter. Weird backbreaker from Curt.

B, went on a bit too long for my tastes. I'd put this higher if it had ended before the Larry FIP portion. Not a great finish either.

"Now that's a Pearl Harbour" - Musgrave

I might write all my posts with Prince playing in the background from now on, he was a funky MF wasn't he.

All-in-all, not the strongest collection of matches here tonight.

Crusher Blackwell & King Kong Bundy vs. The Road Warriors (11/22/84)

Wow, Fat Men Incorporated here. Guessing Road Warriors were heels here given that Blackwell is face, but weird to see Bundy as a face. There's a lot of BEEF in this ring. Bundy is a lot TALLER than I remember him. He's pretty fat here too. I'm interested to see what happens here because the Roadies are going to have to sell here and work from underneath. The REF is almost as big as Bundy.

Weird match, it's been on for 6-7 minutes now and nothing has happened. Seems to be an impasse. The slam spot where Blackwell lands on top of Animal was pretty cool. This has been SLOOOooooww.

Just as I type that things really heat up here. It's quite fun seeing the Road Warriors trying to beat on the fat men. Wow, big slam by Animal on Blackwell. This is pretty good now.

C- Mixed bag here. Everything before the moment I typed "Slow" there wasn't very good, but the last 5 minutes or so wasn't bad.

"I'm betting we don't see a Doomsday Device here" - Musgrave

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Curt Hennig (2/7/85)

I could leave some some of matwork at the start of this, not a terribly interesting headlock. And now a chinkock ... It has to be said, this feels disappointing after the last Bock vs. Hennig match. Things pick up with the Hennig control segment, focused work on the back with a good deal of fierceness. I like how methodical he is. But then he goes back to a chinlock.

The panel on the podcast have taken to listing various Canadians. "Is Bryan Adams a hero over there?" Ha ha.I think Hennig has had far too much of this match now, it's been 95% Hennig on top, Bock needs to have some sort of control segment here, it's too lopsided.Quite a few botches too. I didn't like this much, especially compared to their last match.

C

"Are you guys going to make out now? Jesus" - Sorrow

Crusher Blackwell vs. Masked Superstar (3/7/85)

Enjoyed Adnan's promo at the start. Is it bad that my first though at seeing Masked Superstar is "Ricky Jackson!"?

I much much prefer Eadie in this role than in Demolition as one of the guys who doesn't care for the Demos. The stretch sequence on Blackwell is pretty good here, as per usual he sells his ass off. Great double clothesline. Finish is a little abrupt though. Would have preferred this to get another 5 minutes or so. Will be somewhere in the middle.

Adnan's heel beatdown in the match beyond here was pretty great though. The delight on his face as he's stomping on his former charge is good stuff. Awesome sleazy heelishness. He's got shades of Gomez Addams here. The insulting slaps with a massive smile on his face is awesome. Slaughter! Haku!!

B-, the Adan stuff bumps this up from a C.

"Are we putting you to sleep muthafucker?" - Will

So I normally listen to these, when I am watching some puro or lucha or occasionally, I will sync up and watch the match you guys are talking about from youtube. I just like to listen to people's thoughts on matches and psychology, but I appreciate that you guys don't keep it dry and do talk some smack. I think lends itself to a really fun atmosphere. The reason I don't post more is because it takes me a while to write reviews and am pretty busy writing about WWF tag wrestling from the 80s now. So I just dont have time to chime in, but I will say Jumbo/Martel & Bock/Hennig #1 are my favorites so far from the first 5 podcasts (granted I have not seen everything). I will probably write some stuff up on them in the Microscope when I get a chance.

I use the AWA, especially, to break up the monotony of WWF tag wrestling (I don't mean that as a completely damning praise, but I have never been a person to watch one specific style ad nauseum). Thanks for the podcast, I really do dig it, but the reason, I am breaking my silence is because

DAVE MUSGRAVE IS THE FUCKIN MAN!!! Not only is the guy hilarious, but he hates Rush. Holy shit, ever since Rush got into the Hall Of Fame it has turned my classic rock & classic metal radio stations in my area into non-stop prog borefests. I marked out pretty hard when he said that. Give me Styx any day of the week over Rush.

Overall, badass podcast, look forward to keep on plugging away with you guys. Maybe one day, I will save up enough money to buy these sets, so I can actually participate properly.