Pro Wrestling Only

1980s Wrestling Party Podcast #8

goodhelmet

Here is the match listing...

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens vs. Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig (6/13/85)

Little Tokyo & Lord Littlebrook vs. Cowboy Lang & Little Coco (7/18/85)

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Rick Martel (7/19/85)

Terry Gordy vs. Rick Martel (August 1985)

Crusher Blackwell, Larry Hennig & Tom Zenk vs. The Fabulous Freebirds (8/22/85)

Crusher Blackwell vs. Kamala (Bodyslam Challenge) (9/28/85)

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Boris Zuhkov (9/28/85)

4th show in 6 nights. I know it can get a little overwhelming but a great time had by all. Tonight I was joined by Johnny Sorrow and Jerry Fucking Von Kramer. Later in the show, Doc Sarpolis joins in and we discuss Tom Zenk's shorts, Savages in Wrestling, racist wrestling fans, Terry GOrdy and Sgt. Slaughter on the GOAT list, and mother fucking midgets!!!

On the show, I got called away from the party during Bock-Martel.

Rewatched it in full and this was great enough to be the #2 match of the evening for me. We talk about Regal-Zbyszko and how they had different worked matches but all were great. This was the Martel-Bock sprint with little rests, stiff shots throughout the whole match including the nasty shoulder blocks into Martel's ribs that shoot him out of the ring and a controversial finish that works since the ref did not see Martel's shoulders. Not my favorite of the series but it will be top half somewhere, no doubt.

Decided that it's probably easier to power through and stay up now until I have to meet my friends for lunch. Had a LOT of fun with this show. One of the things I wanted to ask Johnny as a guy from New Jersey is if he's ever had a Nathan's hotdog down at Coney Beach in NY. Probably the best hotdog I've had. With my old job I used to go on regular trips to NYC and got into trying to find the best burger in New York, I'd cite Burger Joint at Le Parker Meredian as being "up there" as a pure cheeseburger experience.

Also, even though we kinda got sidetracked on the British education system and the social politics of the deep south, that Gordy vs. Martel match is really good. I gave it an A-, but might rewatch, considering bumping it up. It may make my top 10.

Thanks for having me on the show. My apologies for being late, but it seems that the older I get the more life becomes an organized disaster. Thoroughly enjoyed being on the show.

Here are my rankings for this evenings card:

1. Sgt. Slaughter vs. Boris Zuhkov (9/28/85)

2. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Rick Martel (7/19/85)

3. Little Tokyo & Lord Littlebrook vs. Cowboy Lang & Little Coco (7/18/85)

4. Terry Gordy vs. Rick Martel (August 1985)

5. Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens vs. Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig (6/13/85)

6. Crusher Blackwell vs. Kamala (Bodyslam Challenge) (9/28/85)

7. Crusher Blackwell, Larry Hennig & Tom Zenk vs. The Fabulous Freebirds (8/22/85)

Absolutely. The Freebirds match could very easily move up to #5 for me as those bottom three are interchangeable. I just thought that with Larry Henning doing absolutely nothing and almost the entire match being Zenk FIP that the match did not distinguish itself. Still, I really enjoyed Michael Hayes in the match and this is by no means an example of the Freebirds not being good in the AWA. They were great here and great on this disc. The problem in this match is on the other side. Larry was useless and not enough Blackwell.

In a perfect world, we would have gotten a heated Blackwell-Gordy exchange here setting a singles match between the two.

The worst part of this project is that I now tend to call VON KRAMER "Parv."

"What's the origin of the pound?" It was actually worth a literal pound of silver way back in Early Middle Ages Anglo/Saxon England. He's the one with the literature background. I'm the one with the medieval history Masters.

I think you guys totally slept on Greg Gagne UNLEASHED in that match. I figured that'd come out even more in the group setting. He was the god damn Ultimate Warrior in that match.

Parv Von Bockwinkel is a great gimmick. Though Johnny is the one with the maniacal laugh.

Obviously I'm going to have to rewatch the midget match. thanks. It still had the best atomic drop of all time. There was a ladies tag I thought should have made it on the set, neither here nor there. I'll try to remember what it was. I couldn't convince anyone to watch it after I saw it. Ah: It was Richter/Grable vs Mcintyre/Martin. It's offline now. It was a fun spotfest at least as good as.. let's say Badd Company vs Midnight Rockers. I need to rewatch that too to see if it holds up.

I love this Martel vs Bock. It's not my top match of theirs by any means, but the sprint nature of it just shows how both guys are so versatile. re: Martel. I think the issue with him is that he's better as a face. I think he still has some really good babyface matches in WWF. There's a match with Tama which is worth watching for instance. He's pretty cruddy as a heel though. There's some of his pre-WCW work with Don Callis online and I've been meaning to watch it.

Hennig is the guy who had good matches as both a face and heel in AWA but that was completely neutered in WWF.

I already decided I need to rewatch Gordy/Martel. It was pretty forgettable to me though I think I had a problem with the psych, especially of the final third. Finishes where the banned guys come back to interfere really piss me off.

I tuned you guys out completely after minute #2 of the Zenk talk.

Posted Image

"I do not enjoy wildman gimmicks. Now then, please pass the caviar."

2 .Nick Bockwinkel vs. Rick Martel (7/19/85)

4. Crusher Blackwell, Larry Hennig & Tom Zenk vs. The Fabulous Freebirds (8/22/85)

5. Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens vs. Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig (6/13/85)

6. Sgt. Slaughter vs. Boris Zuhkov (9/28/85)

8. Crusher Blackwell vs. Kamala (Bodyslam Challenge) (9/28/85)

9. Terry Gordy vs. Rick Martel (August 1985)

11. Little Tokyo & Lord Littlebrook vs. Cowboy Lang & Little Coco (7/18/85)

I'll rewatch Gordy/Martel and the midgets match but not because I'm afraid of Johnny outing me as a midget hater.

• 4 months later...

Powering through, POWERING through now.

It's Cheese & New York Deli Relish "American Style Bubble Chips" now accompanied by a fine ale indeed: Maplemoon brewed by Jospeph Holt of Manchester! Come on!

1985 you are going down tonight.

Hold on, what the fuck, I'M on this show. Ha ha, I've seen these matches. Ridiculous scenes here.

Onwards to disc 6!