Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #40

Where the Big Boys Play #40 - Halloween Havoc 89

Posted Image

Sarp (aka Doc Sarpolis) is this week's guest as he joins Chad and Parv to head into the Thunder! Thunder! Thunderdome! for Halloween Havoc 89. Highlights include: blood and violence vs. "mainstream sensibilities", the problem with Tom Zenk, The Bobby Eaton Appreciation Society, The Mr. J mystery, assessing the Thesz press as a finisher in 1989, the college degrees of the Dynamic Dudes, should commentators acknowledge the crowd booing babyfaces?, and an extended Luger vs. Sting comparison as potential future company aces.

I'm afraid that's not the Beastie Boys that the Dynamic Dudes are coming out to--that's the BEACH Boys teaming with the Fat Boys to record a cover of "Wipeout." I'm not making this up. No, the Dudes coming out to the Beasties right as Paul's Boutique was being released would have tainted them with a scent of legitimate cool, and we couldn't have that.

Teddy Long's Giant Gold Key was supposedly the key to Norman's cell, and was the prop he used to control Norman. Yes. Possibly the lamest manager foreign object ever.

I'm afraid that's not the Beastie Boys that the Dynamic Dudes are coming out to--that's the BEACH Boys teaming with the Fat Boys to record a cover of "Wipeout." I'm not making this up. No, the Dudes coming out to the Beasties right as Paul's Boutique was being released would have tainted them with a scent of legitimate cool, and we couldn't have that.

Teddy Long's Giant Gold Key was supposedly the key to Norman's cell, and was the prop he used to control Norman. Yes. Possibly the lamest manager foreign object ever.

Thanks for the intel on the key. That was secretly driving me nuts.

And yeah, the idea of the Dudes having a track off of Paul's Boutique just would have been too close to maybe being hip. I didn't hear what they came out to for this show and completely forgot that it was 'wipe out'.

Personally I think blood is not needed in pro wrestling and I would prefer to see it very very rarely maybe 2 matches a year or so. Once I learned how wrestlers cause themselves to bleed I winced. I love these guys and gals. I don't want to see them mutilating their faces for my enjoyment. That's just sick and no entertainment or sport should force its performers to do this. I'm a stage actor and if any director handed me a packing crate razor to "get some juice" for a show I'd laugh my head off, report them to a union and relax. Same for any athlete I'm sure.

Blade jobs are one of the things that help cause the vast majority of the public to look down on wrestling. Look at the reaction the Wrestler got in those scenes, however exaggerated they might be. Blade jobs might help hardcore fans but no mainstream US promotion that wants to go national can go anywhere on just those types of fans. TBS was right in its choice.

I grew up with Samoans here in my Los Angeles neighborhood and went to high school and played football with them.. Sarp is right they do value size. I also heard that they're metabolisms are traditionally slow. Of course they eat a lot and as they get older there slowing metabolisms have an adverse affect on their weight. Some of them that I was friends with got bigger later on in life whereas during the highschool years they were pretty fit.

Guest TheGreatPuma

Personally I think blood is not needed in pro wrestling and I would prefer to see it very very rarely maybe 2 matches a year or so. Once I learned how wrestlers cause themselves to bleed I winced. I love these guys and gals. I don't want to see them mutilating their faces for my enjoyment. That's just sick and no entertainment or sport should force its performers to do this. I'm a stage actor and if any director handed me a packing crate razor to "get some juice" for a show I'd laugh my head off, report them to a union and relax. Same for any athlete I'm sure.

Blade jobs are one of the things that help cause the vast majority of the public to look down on wrestling. Look at the reaction the Wrestler got in those scenes, however exaggerated they might be. Blade jobs might help hardcore fans but no mainstream US promotion that wants to go national can go anywhere on just those types of fans. TBS was right in its choice.

I think for a lot of people part of the problem is the self mutilation. Personally, I have bled numerous times from barbwire due to working with barbed wire fences. I have bled from other things as well. It doesn't bother me at all when I get cut. I just keep on working. However, I could never, ever cut myself intentionally with the barbed wire. It's a scary thought to me. The pain is not the problem but the self mutilation is. I know some wrestlers think like this too because they will have to get others to cut them because even though they want to bleed they can't stomach doing it to themselves.

There are worse things in wrestling of course than blading oneself but yes, it is true this is something that sickens justifiably a lot of people. I say partly because of the self mutilation and the immediate and constant visual of watching someone with the visual reminder of an injured body. It's very natural if someone sees blood for it to have a strong response in people.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had a chance to listen to the episode yet, but wanted to poke my head in here to say that I really dig the show. Happened across it while looking for something to listen to at work and it's ended up inspiring me to join these boards. You guys do a pretty tremendous job of keeping things both informative and pretty damn entertaining.

My next step is to try and get my hands on some of the shows you're reviewing and the DVD sets you reference. I didn't see a whole lot of NWA stuff growing up, and I think it's high time to rectify that oversight.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I enjoyed listening to this for the whole 2 hr 30 mins LOL, I agree w/ everything said about Bobby Eaton, I agree the Z-Man was the shitz, & I also think Luger/Pillman was the match of the night. I enjoyed listening to Sarp talk about the show & the business, always fun hearing a bud I've had a ton of dealing with speak his thoughts, I'd love to do one of these shows one day myself!

• 4 months later...