Pro Wrestling Only

AWA Wrestling Party #16

In ten minutes ( I know, lots of time to prep). Me, Johnny Sorrow and Sarp are going to knock this baby out...

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Larry Zbyszko (7/11/87)

Curt Hennig vs. DJ Petersen (8/29/87)

Wahoo McDaniel vs. Boris Zuhkov (Russian Chain Match) (8/29/87)

Wahoo McDaniel vs. Curt Hennig (9/12/87)

Curt Hennig vs. Mitch Snow (10/30/87)

Bill Dundee & Jerry Lawler vs. Original Midnight Express (10/30/87)

Wahoo McDaniel vs. Curt Hennig (Indian Strap Match) (11/28/87)

Midnight Rockers vs. Kevin Kelly & Nick Kiniski (12/27/87)

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...6382&cmd=tc

- 2 super great matches. I may like the Bock-Larry match better than the 4 minute match because it had a great ending and the Larry sections were pretty great in themselves. Dundee-Lawler tag was just classic formula wrestling executed to perfection.

- I liked the Hennig match leading to the strap match better than the strap match. The ending with Wahoo being carted off puts it over the top. Bad endings in the Strap and Chain match hurt both matches.

- Eh, the heels were perfectly fine but you really notice the absence of Rose-Somers.

-Perfectly fine wrestling with Curt fighting two guys I don't give a shit about. I could switch the order but they would probably be back to back on the lower half of the ballot no matter where I put them.

Pretty informative show. Now I know who's mum Flair was banging, who's mum used to be stripper and I got to see Col. Sanders / Spencer Tracy and Freddie Mercury.

My ranking of the matches would be:

• 2 weeks later...

I liked this show as we got some thoughts from the panel on some unique people. Onto my thoughts.

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Larry Zbyszko (7/11/87) - I cant get enough of this feud and this is the best match. I may be bumping the fav five thread in the pro wrestling folder on Larry Z because I am loving his stuff on this set.

Curt Hennig vs. DJ Petersen (8/29/87) - Fun heel Curt vs. Lower opponent. I thought Peterson was pretty bad here but overall this is an enjoyable match that will end up around 100-125 on my ballot

Wahoo McDaniel vs. Boris Zuhkov (Russian Chain Match) (8/29/87) - Ok match but I have kind of had enough of Boris. it was fun seeing him at first as some long Bolshevik matches but his matches have failed to captivate me and this match can't be blamed on following a great match before it.

Wahoo McDaniel vs. Curt Hennig (9/12/87) - Good starter piece to their feud. Wahoo is looking pretty rugged by this point.

Curt Hennig vs. Mitch Snow (10/30/87) - I liked this better than the Peterson match and think the panel undersold the amateur wrestling spot with verne squealing like a baby.

Bill Dundee & Jerry Lawler vs. Original Midnight Express (10/30/87) - Maybe the funniest match on the set. Sitting right outside of my top 10 and the definition of an effective tag. Lawler laughing at Rose was so amazing.

Wahoo McDaniel vs. Curt Hennig (Indian Strap Match) (11/28/87) - Good iteration of this feud but the main event scene with heel curt does feel pretty limited.

Midnight Rockers vs. Kevin Kelly & Nick Kiniski (12/27/87) - Was not a big fan of this and the shine sequence went on too long. Bottom 20.

• 2 months later...

Zybysko vs. The Man

Bock vs. Larry is really the sleeper feud of this set. It's been great so far.

This match had the most standard structure possible: shine / heat / finish, but the work in all three segments was really solid. Zybysko was great selling and on offense. Bock was Bock.

The most satisfying of their matches for me so far and should be Top 30.

B+

On Bock / Flair vs. JTTS / jobbers, I want them to be more dominant because it makes the champ seem too weak.

I'm much happier in All Japan land where there's real hierarchy there. Jumbo wont even touch a jobber he's so far beneath him.

Bock got literally 2 moves of offense in that match against Rheingans -- that doesn't make sense to me from a kayfabe point of view.

I can buy variations on the Flair vs. Sam Houston match where the champ might underestimate a midcarder and be surprised, but there should never be any doubt about who is supreme.

Hennig vs. Brutus Beefcake Petersen

Loving "Cool" Curt's saunter. He's got so much charisma as a heel.

Petersen looks good.

Ha ha! He clotheslined the ref!

Slam on the chair! Not a wrestling chair, but an actual chair.

Wahoo now.

This was decent, but nothing more. A nice look at Hennig as champ.

C

Been toying with a "Ranking the Russians" thread for a while now, but never seem to get round to making it.

Also want to do a "Top 10" brawlers thread too, to see where people would put Wahoo.

Wahoo McDaniel vs. Boris Zukhov

I'm going to say it: Boris is a revelation for this set. Nice to see Wahoo back from Crockett. This should be good.

Decent level of brutality, instant colour here. Look forward to reading Matt D's thoughts on this :)

Pretty short. Zukhov already seems to be transitioning more into the JTTS we see in WWF.

Too short and one-side to be more than:

C

Every once in a while I hear a line of Ron Tronguard. I'm a massive commentary guy, like a MASSIVE commentary guy, even like Mooney / Alfred Hayes, but I can honestly say I don't care at all about not catching it here. Just woeful.

Hennig vs. some guy

Where did Dick Slater come from then?

The journey we've seen Hennig take from chubby young face to this dude in the space of a few years is pretty incredible.

I think this version of Hennig here in 87 is better than the Mr. Perfect incarnation from what I've seen so far. Better offense. Although I am admittedly a fan of insane Perfect bumping.

Another good match to get Cool Curt over.

C+

Dundee / Lawler vs. Original Midnights

How exciting is this then! I've absolutely loved every second I've seen of Dundee in NWA and love Condrey. Lawler still feels like this big undiscovered country for me. Randy Rose, honestly in my mind rightly or wrongly, is a glorified jobber -- but y'know you could make an argument that a guy like Doug Somers is that and he was phenomenal on this set.

Paul E. is there too! This is interesting since I've saw a good chunk of their NWA run not too long ago.

Rose looks a lot better with a moustache and shorter hair than how he'd look in 88.

Some excellent punching here.

Paul E. looks like he got his suit from a secondhand store, it's at least 2 sizes too big for him.

Very standard match in my view, nothing exceptional.

C+

Wahoo vs. Cool Curt

And how cool is Curt! I would have just loved him as a kid if I'd seen AWA.

Hennig has been incredible so far here, turning up the intensity to the max.

Wahoo's comeback is great here. Grit, determination, old man anger! This is great.

Hennig just did the Windham suplex into a pin spot.

WHAT THE FUCK?! Adrian Adonis! What's he wearing?

Greg in a pair of joggers!

What just happened?

Man nooooooo, this was excellent until that happened. Damn, that's annoying.

B

Rockers vs. Kevin Kelly & Nick Kiniski

That Kevin Kelly? No fucking Nailz! Sarp is right: he really looks like Steve Austin.

This is a VERY WWF opening to this match with the Rockers running in and cleaning house. They might have only been there a day but they seem to have picked that up.

This is the disc of utter randomness with some of these guys cropping up.

I can leave this matwork sequence between Kiniski and Michaels.

Rockers legdrop / elbow drop double team spot is cool.

Random observation: the crowd here in very late 87 is not as thin as I'd expect to see.

Kelly is horrible. Dan Spivey horrible.

Kiniski looks a lot better.

Bearhug into a pin is something I don't recall seeing too often.

Rockers are super-over here.

Crappy finish.

This will be low for me.

D+

Super drop off in quality here, but Hennig is great in a lot of slightly above average matches. Was pretty disappointed in the Dundee/Lawler vs. Midnights match.

Disc 9 rankings

B+

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Curt Hennig (3/7/87)

B

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Curt Hennig (5/2/87)

B-

Greg Gagne vs. Larry Zbyszko (July 1987)

C+

Greg Gagne vs. Curt Hennig (5/30/87)

C

Larry Zbyszko vs. Ray Stevens (5/30/87)

C-

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens vs. Super Ninja & Larry Zbyszko (2/21/87)

D+

D-

Col. Debeers vs. Jimmy Snuka (Glove On A Pole Match) (2/21/87)

MVP: This guy

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Shocked NO one has mentioned how Adonis almost cut Curt's finger off when he used that fuckin butcher knife to cut his strap off at the end of the Wahoo / Curt Strap match...its nasty if you watch closely..

Curt's hand is bleeding like crazy afterward...you can see him holding it and clearly needing attention...