Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-02-08-USWA-TV] The Spellbinder and Brian Christopher

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

The Spellbinder was recently beaten by Brian Christopher and issues a challenge to him. They end up in a shouting match when Brian Christopher comes out for his match, and Spellbinder challenges Christopher to arm wrestling ... with a candle on each side of their arms so that the loser gets burned! Oh live TV ... the candles keep going out, but they finally are able to get started. Christopher makes a comeback and is about to win when Spellbinder surprises him by throwing a fireball in his face! I liked this segment.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hating this stuff as the hokey Memphis with the candle going out and the candles looking like they were about to take a bubble bath together instead of have an arm wrestling match. Things really heat up literally when Spellbinder creates a fireball and hits Christopher in a move that actually looked like it took quite a bit of skill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Spellbinder is a true oddity in many ways. He dresses up like a mime and does magic tricks but talks and acts like a street tough. He had that random one-off appearance in the WWF as Phantasio. He looks like a roided-up version of that guy on Seinfeld who dated Elaine and who nobody could tell was white or black. Spellbinder is upset about a past loss, so he aims to settle things with...an arm wrestling contest, and Christopher is dumb enough to accept. This arm wrestling match with candles is something that Lawler did with Jos LeDuc years earlier. Probably should have lit the candles *after* all the standard Memphis stalling. This was pretty contrived and Memphis-by-numbers, but the fireball itself was very well-done, as I guess you'd expect from a legit magician.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-02-08-USWA-TV] The Spellbinder and Brian Christopher
  • 6 months later...

I have no clue who the Spellbinder is but he's absolutely juiced to the moon with a thick, high-pitched New York accent. Good luck to anybody other than Lance trying to narrate this whole segment. The man really was a treasure. Even when the candles are lit the flames are flimsy wee things and both Spellbinder and Brian are coated in so much baby oil that a flamethrower would struggle to permeate it. Actually, maybe it's the opposite and the baby oil makes the tiny flame dangerous. Any sort of contact and those guys are going up like a furnace! That fireball shot looked pretty great and Lance shouting "YOU THREW A FIREBALL AT HIM, YA IDIOT!" was amazing. You know somebody fucked up when Lance is calling someone a hoodlum or an idiot or some such. This was total Memphis stupidity so I guess I loved it?