Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-02-15-USWA-TV] PG-13 vs Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Before the match starts, Lawler brings out Sunny to join Lance Russell at the broadcast booth and call the action. She gets a big reaction from an excited studio crowd, but this is one of the first signs that she was slowly losing favor in the WWF.

This being Memphis, Lance Russell has to make sense of her appearance and have her explain her past relationship with Faarooq. I wouldn't have minded this match getting a lot more time, but it's a pretty decent tag on fast forward, and they make the most of the five or so minutes they have. King Reginald, who Lawler insulted before the match, interferes and hits Lawler, giving PG-13 the win. Cool to see a pinfall finish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Lawler runs off Reggie B. Fine, decked out in a crown and cape and sitting in a personal throne. He brings out Sunny to class this segment up. No one, including Sunny, is quite sure if she's supposed to be a babyface or a heel, which has been a problem for her ever since she gave up managing. PG-13 as you'd expect provide some nice athletic spots and bumps for a studio setting. Lance explaining how Lawler's skills as an artist translate to skilled hands for throwing punches might be the greatest bit of analysis I've ever heard. Lawler and Dundee control most of the match, but King Reginald clocks Lawler with a chain to give PG-13 the win.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-02-15-USWA-TV] PG-13 vs Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee
  • 6 months later...

Fun five minutes as Lawler and Dundee teaming together will never be old. Some Dundee on Dundee violence will also never be old and Bill pops Jamie with a corker of a right hand. I may not have been the smartest kid in the world at ten years old, but if I could visit that kid right now I'd tell him he was on the money for choosing Sunny as a first true love.