Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-02-22-USWA-TV] PG-13 vs Jerry Lawler & Brian Christopher

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure Dundee had a few good performances still left in him this late, but I prefer Brian Christopher as a tag team partner to Lawler by this time just because he's developed into a really solid worker. This is the best of the tags so far, because they work the typical Southern schtick into a more action-packed match. It's cool how PG-13 instinctively switch gears in pacing when Lawler or Christopher tag in and out. The Spellbinder runs in for the DQ and attacks Christopher, then the ring fills up with other wrestlers like King Reginald, Flash Flanagan and Billy Joe Travis. Schmozz central.

• 2 weeks later...

Dirty Dutch on commentary for this one. I really liked the piledriver spot we get from Lawler in the early going. Him and Christopher have good chemistry as partners. Wolfie still selling the neck after five minutes was amazing. PG-13 are by far the best statesdie tag we have seen so far in 1997. They do a good job doing a compact heat segment on Christopher. Lawler's hot tag with him pulling down the strap and them pinballing off was great. Was good to see my boy Billy Joe Travis pop up. I still really dig these long studio matches USWA is pulling off in 1997.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a fine tag match. I have enjoyed Christopher on the yearbook more than I expected to. The long studio matches are a nice contrast to what WCW, WWF and (to an extent) ECW are presenting at the time. The USWA presentation comes across a little dated when watched in context with everything else, but the presentation is still sincere and well done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We're at the point now where with every good segment, I'm wondering, is this the final good segment of Memphis television? This could be the final great WMC studio match. Christopher delivers a very strong performance, his best since the epic TV bout with Jeff Jarrett. A good solid blend of Memphis shtick with a touch more '90s offense. He sells great, too. Aside from stuff with a chain that's basically a red herring, as I don't remember it playing a role in the match, this is pretty much a straight-up tag that avoids a lot of the usual Memphis cliches. The biggest being the run-in finish, as Elijah attacks Brian Christopher with a tire iron before the whole locker room empties for an impromptu battle royal.

I know the company was in upheaval and morale was in the toilet, and that he was basically dragged out of retirement when Dave Brown quit, but this is the first segment I've ever seen where it feels like Lance Russell is phoning it in. He provides a few token insights but he's basically checked out at this point. I can't say that I blame him and half-assed Lance is still better than most announcers working at 100%, but I was still a little disappointed.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-02-22-USWA-TV] PG-13 vs Jerry Lawler & Brian Christopher
  • 6 months later...

I thought this was a blast, especially during the babyface shine. Lawler's quick piledriver, Wolfie's sell of it, Jamie throwing an epic tantrum, Lawler popping him in the mouth; just a great little sequence. This also felt like a fully-formed tag (aside from the crazy run-in finish, obviously), whereas a few of the tags on previous shows have had flashes of it before being cut short.