Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-06-06-CMLL] El Hijo del Santo & Scorpio Jr & Dr Wagner Jr vs Negro Casas & El Fiero & Ultimo Dragon

Loss

• 1 month later...

A fun, storyline-driven match. Ultimo is taken out, leaving poor Casas to get decimated by Santo's team. They stretch this out for a long time just because they can. I enjoy Wagner as the Bull Nakano to Santo's Dump Matsumoto -- this insane second lieutenant who is having a little too much fun carrying this out. The rudos can't be beaten; they can only beat themselves -- as Wagner shoving the ref to the mat is the only thing that costs them the second fall. I like the moment where Casas is lying on his back on the floor getting beat up where the referee raises his hand. Some winner. Ultimo makes his big triumphant comeback in the last few minutes and the crowd goes crazy. Santo takes his receipt like a champ. Ultimo even gets a pin on Santo, which seems like a pretty big deal. Santo and company will face Casas and company again in a week, and I'm looking forward to seeing all of this play out more.

• 4 weeks later...

Santo has Casas in the Camel Clutch and Dragon whacks him in the back with a kick. Santo lets go and smacks Dragon around a few times. Dragon looks to be frozen in place about upsetting Santo so much. He must have too big of a heart or something. He might not have a fully working arm though as he ends up getting taken out of match. Rudos beat the crap of Casas at end of first fall but their aggressiveness costs them a DQ in the second. Rudos continue to kick ass until Dragon returns! He beats Santo too! Really fun that wanted me to watch the rematch right away.

• 2 months later...

I really enjoyed this as a first match of things to come as they really ratcheted up the hate for each other. The match starts well enough with all the big pairings looking good against each other. I really liked the slip under that Santo did in their sequence. Things intensify when Ultimo gets taken out and this leaves the rudo side to go to a dark place as they waylay on Fiera and Casas. The bump Casas takes into the chairs is nutty. Ultimo comes back for his triumphant comeback and I was surprised to see him get the pin on Santo but it felt like a deserved and feel good moment.

• 1 year later...

I had trouble getting into this, at least until Dragon went down. It felt like a LOT of scene-setting but not much actually happening. There's slow burn and then there's stuff that causes me to drift out. Fiera also looks like he's aged ten years since the last time we saw him--he does the requisite back body drop bump and a few nice strikes but not a ton else. This did ramp up in intensity when Dragon got hurt, and Casas takes a royal shitkicking on the outside, including a nasty headfirst bodyslam into a row of seats. There's no pretense of "tweenerness" here--Casas is a full-fledged tecnico and Santo is a heel all the way. Dragon makes a surprise return just when it looks like all is lost, and he and Casas team up to superbomb Santo into defeat.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-06-06-CMLL] El Hijo del Santo & Scorpio Jr & Dr Wagner Jr vs Negro Casas & El Fiero & Ultimo Dragon