Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-06-08-WWF-King of the Ring] Interview: Bret Hart

Loss

• 1 month later...

Bret walks to the ring with on his own two feet. He's supposed to join Vince and Jim Ross on commentary, but due to the destruction of the announce table, there isn't anywhere for him to sit.

Bret is still doing glorious heel promos. This time, he whines about being attacked repeatedly while he was in a wheelchair and on crutches. And therein lies the genius of Bret at this time -- he has a valid point, but he's such a whiner that he gets no sympathy. He mentions that he'll return to the ring at Canadian Stampede, and that the Harts want to issue a challenge to any five wrestlers in the company to take the Hart Foundation on in Calgary.

Bret gets run off because there's nowhere for him to sit, and the Harts are run off from ringside. Bret cries about freedom of speech because he's awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Bret Hart announces his return for Canadian Stampede and issues a big challenge of the Hart Foundation versus five WWF guys. Bret loses his announce gig for main even match which is too bad as I would like to hear him call Austin/Michaels. Pillman was funny threatening Brisco and Patterson, putting a spot light in Vince's face and pinching Dave Hebner’s cheek.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Not one of Bret's greatest promos but a good enough one, with Bret establishing his return and the 10-man main event of the Canadian Stampede. The real highlight is the confrontation with Vince, JR, and the WWF road agency. Everyone here is great, especially Pillman and Owen ("He can't talk to my brother like that!")

• 1 year later...

This is a great segment. Bret announces he'll be healthy & ready wrestle at the next IYH PPV July 6 in Calgary. He invites five wrestlers from the WWF roster to cross the border & wrestle the Hart Foundation in their turf. Bret says it will be payback to the Americans for their mistreatment to him. He then goes to the announce booth for commentary of Austin-Shawn but the previous Mankind-HHH caused a mess with the commentary table broken. Due to Bret not having anywhere to sit & not trusting the HF to get involved in the Austin-Shawn match, Officials come out & remove the HF in a great moment as Bret complains about freedom of speech. I love Bret. All the antics with Bret griping at Vince & Pillman harassing fans & officials is great. I love Owen yelling "That's my brother!" I think the 1997 Hart Foundation is my favorite WWF faction of all time & it really isn't close.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-06-08-WWF-King of the Ring] Interview: Bret Hart