Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-08-01-NJPW] Shinya Hashimoto vs Kazuo Yamazaki

Loss

• 1 month later...

Offense -> Hesitation -> Struggle -> Flared Tempers is pretty much the layout. Weirdly, there's a ref bump, then Hashimoto locks in a cross armbreaker and the ref isn't there. He finally gets back into things in time for Yamazaki to submit. I really enjoyed this.

• 3 weeks later...

We're not calling Yamazaki an MMA guy are we? He started his career in New Japan. Anyway, this was another intense match between these two. I loved Yamazaki's focus on Hash's midsection in the early going, and they produced some hellacious strike exchanges. Hash was an all-time master at these short, violent matches.

• 2 months later...

I like the chemistry with these two. Hashimoto does a great job being methodical and smart with the structure of his matches to a certain extent but them not feeling boring. Yamazaki was breaking out all sorts of nasty submissions especially the arm and hand focused one that he was turning Hash's hand over with. the ref bump was kind of weird but Hash was able to lock in the cross armbreaker and get the submission. This match feels like a good litmus test for #100 at the year end. I enjoyed it a good deal.

• 1 year later...

This was worked semi shoot style, although I don't recall any ref bumps in UWFI. NJ had just about the worst refs in Puro btw. Plenty of stiff strikes and submissions, with both fighters bringing the intensity. They'd given themselves a strong base but the finish was weak. It felt like half a match. They'd deliver on the promise in next years Climax.

• 8 months later...

Pretty good match with a borderline-nonsensical finish. It's OK if you want to establish "shit happens" and that refs can get bumped but it doesn't automatically mean a screwjob, but I don't know if that was really NJPW's intention or not. These two always have great chemistry but even ignoring the booking I thought their '96 matches were better and tighter.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-08-01-NJPW] Shinya Hashimoto vs Kazuo Yamazaki