Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-10-11-PRIDE 1] Nobuhiko Takada vs Rickson Gracie

Loss

• 2 months later...

Headline match on the first PRIDE show which I was told we should include for historical significance related to pro wrestling. I was too annoyed by the English speaking announcer saying the word "Hickson" repeatedly to keep watching.

EDIT: I'm told that's the Portuguese pronunciation of his name. Still, I don't really care about MMA.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If you want to show a clear picture of New Japan booking behavior of the early 2000ies you would probably also have to include stuff like Ka Shin vs. Ryan Gracie, Yasuda vs. LeBanner, Nakamura vs. Ignashov or some Fujita stuff, all which lead to huge pushes. Some Lesnar in UFC stuff (the first Mir fight and the Couture fight) would probably also make sense considering how he was portrayed back then (both from MMA and pro wrestling side) and how this effected his later pro wrestling career.

• 1 year later...

The use of MMA on these sets has been pretty well-done, IMO, and this is another worthy addition to the catalogue. Plus it touches on the Rickson-Anjo incident which hasn't been released publicly but was a huge story with major implications for shootstyle. Here, Rickson exposes another UWFI guy in much more public fashion. I don't know much about MMA but Bas and the other guy did a very good job of explaining how clueless Takada looked in the guard position. You can't accuse Takada of lacking guts to take this fight, at least.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-10-11-PRIDE 1] Nobuhiko Takada vs Rickson Gracie