Pro Wrestling Only

Portland Wrestling (PNW)

Smack2k

Wanted to start a Portland (PNW) thread to get some of the best matches here brought up by fans who watched it...

There are a TON of matches I have questions about, but for me, first up is 1980...what were some of the great matches from that year?

All other years apply as well obviously, but 1980 is the first I wanted to know about from those that know it well!

Buddy Rose vs Rick Martel from 1980 is great. Not sure of the exact date, but it's on YouTube in 4 parts. You should probably watch some other stuff first and build up to it if you are going to go through a bunch of footage. Maybe Matt D or Dylan can give you an overview of the best stuff.

I can't vouch for these myself, but here are the ones I've seen get the most praise:

Buddy Rose vs Rick Martel (04/26/80)

Roddy Piper & Rick Martel vs The Sheepherders (05/03/80)

Buddy Rose vs Rick Martel (05/10/80)

Roddy Piper & Rick Martel vs The Sheepherders (05/31/80)

Buddy Rose vs Butch Miller (06/07/80)

Buddy Rose & Ed Wiskowski vs Roddy Piper & Rick Martel (08/02/80)

Roddy Piper vs Ed Wiskowski (08/23/80)

Buddy Rose vs Roddy Piper (09/13/80)

Honestly? If you have the time and care about this stuff at all, there's absolutely zero reason not to go on youtube (it's all on one channel) and go through the near entirety of 1979 that's posted there. If you want to go for DVDs for quality and to watch on your couch, or whatever, nab Will's Buddy set, but that doesn't have all of the matches posted (and some aren't quite as good as the rest, of course, but I think all are worth your time). In general, there are over 25 chronological matches from 1979 posted right now, surrounded by angles and promos, and I can't think of a reason why anyone wouldn't watch that way if they had an interest. I'm very, very happy that I took the time to do so and excited to continue watching that way.

I will jump on there tonight and take a look...

I have one of my PC's hooked up to my old school 36" CRT TV in the man cave, so old videos on youtube or local to my machine play great on there and I can sit on my large chair and watch them...

Which channel was it?

PM Sent.

He breaks up the 2/3 falls matches by fall which is a little annoying but you get what you pay for. I love seeing Portland in context, as much as we have at least, as the action's almost universally great, the angles are good, the announcing is enjoyable, and even the sponsors just add to the feel of it all.

I am too lazy to look, but I think it is the May 1980 match with Rose and Martel that some consider one of the better singles matches ever (I wouldn't go that far but I"ve seen multiple people say that) and the best singles match in the history of the territory (I wouldn't go that far either, but it's certainly upper tier and almost certainly the best singles matches of 1980).

For my money Buddy Rose & Ed Wiskowski vs Roddy Piper & Rick Martel (08/02/80) is the best Portland match of all time and probably one of the ten best tag matches I've ever seen. It's also the best match I've seen from anywhere in the world that year - the aforementioned Rose v. Martel is probably my number two.

Yeah, I did some more research and it is the May match that gets all teh love...

But I am gonna watch the first one (4/26) first as I think I have seen teh May match a while back...

EDIT- FUCK, I have the 4/26 match right now, will hunt down teh May one....if its better than April then should be a classic.

EDIT 2 - Did they have a No DQ 2/3 Falls match as well besides the 2 listed in April and May? I have a disc that has that match labeled on it...from a Portland early 80s set.

I'm 2 of the 3 falls into it and I have a decent amount to say about it and Harley at some point. I think it's a great example of a lot of the criticisms against Race but also pushes back against the Angle comparisons as well. What it does best though is shows how Frank Bonnema was actually a pretty damn good announce for this sort of thing. once I watch the third fall, i'll write something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Geez, in the span of about three months in 1980, Portland loses Martel, Piper, Wiskowski, Rip Rogers and the Sheepherders. At this point the faces are basically Jonthan Boyd, Mike Popovich, and Joe Lightfoot, with Dutch Savage "injured" and semi-retired. The army is Rose, a newly debuted Rip Oliver and Cortez the Cuban. And the Popovich thing is about to explode in Portland's face. Are there drawing figures from this era? I'd love to see if Buddy can hold the fort down.