Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-09-19-APW] Erin O'Grady vs Michael Modest

Loss

• 1 month later...

Folk Implosion entrance music! Does it get more 90s than that? It turns out it does -- the "New York City?" joke from the Pace Picante commercial even makes an appearance during Modest's introduction.

This is my first time seeing Crash Holly in this gimmick. For those of you unfamiliar, as Erin O'Grady, Crash is a leprechaun from Ireland whose weight is announced in stones.

For indy wrestling in 1997, this is pretty solid. Lots of good basic stuff around the side headlock and returning to it every time Modest tries to get out. Nothing that will change your life, but perfectly fine wrestling. This gets really aggressive when they go out of the ring and Modest lays in some pretty nasty kicks on the floor, and O'Grady's spinny knee thing he does looks really great and it's pretty cool that he's able to get a finish out it.

Better than I expected it to be for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The future Crash Holly is doing a full-blown leprechaun gimmick--"Natural One" may be '90s-centric but it beats the Lucky Charms commercial music that O'Grady was coming out to. O'Grady being announced as "17.777 stone", which is about 250 pounds, is a little on the high side though it won't be the last time he'll have a super-exaggerated weight attached to him. As for Modest, he clearly showed talent but on a purely superficial level I don't see how his look at this point was going to get him a push in the Big Two as some people seemed to think was inevitable. With his thinning bleach-blond hair he looked pure '50s even if his entrance was pure '90s. Formalities aside, this was an enjoyable little bout, with O'Grady showing some cool offense and both guys showing some fantastic execution. They started off hot but toned it down afterward before building to big bombs, instead of going with the all-out spotfest I was expecting. Finish is a little wonky and right out of Flair and Windham at Beach Blast '93, but O'Grady's twisting leg scissors were cool as hell. Some guy comes in and power bombs both guys afterward. Not a *great* match, mostly due to O'Grady's total lack of long-term selling (going from being suplexed like a jobber opponent for Taz to coming back in like .5 seconds), but definitely the best of the indy matches on the '97 set.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-09-19-APW] Erin O'Grady vs Michael Modest