Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture Episode 45

On Episode 45 of the Wrestling Culture Podcast, Dylan and I are joined by documentary filmmaker Michael Elliott to discuss his upcoming film "Jim Crockett Promotions: The Good Old Days". Mike has produced two previous documentaries on Jimmy Valiant and the NWA so he brings a lot of experience and just as much passion into this project. We talk at length about the territory, the process of making the film and the coup of being the first person to get an on-the-record interview with Jim Crockett Jr in the almost twenty-five years since he sold his business to Ted Turner. Please listen to the show and please support the film.

Wrestling Culture Epsidoe 45

You can pre-order the Crockett documentary at:

http://www.highspots.com/p/crockett-doc.html

You can buy Mike's two previous documentaries together at this link:

http://ellbowproductions.weebly.com/

I honestly could not be more excited to see this. Was interesting you touched on some of the things from this thread. I am almost as pumped to see the David Crockett interview as I am to see the Jim Crockett Jr one.

I think you guys did a good job here. First 10-15 minutes it seemed like he wasn't going to open up much but as you talked more he became a bit less guarded in his answers.

If this guy does an Ivan doc, that would be really interesting too.

Dylan, have you seen this, it looks like something that you might want to own: http://www.highspots.com/p/crockett-book-1.html

Has anyone on this board encountered others fans who are resentful of the Crocketts and blame the family for ruining wrestling? When Michael said on the podcast that One of the reasons Jim Crockett is hesitant to make an appearance or talk about wrestling is his fear of people not liking him, I was surprised. I'd never heard anyone resent Crockett or think of him as a black mark on the business.

Second guessing business or booking decisions? Sure. But that's to be expected and way different than resentment or dislike. Perhaps Jim doesn't see it as different, though.

Black Mark? Hell no...he is the reason that WCW was born as he kept going and running when Vince was taking over and he continued to run and run strong when all others fell by the wayside or their products turned to shit and no one cared anymore...having Flair and Dusty helped out...and TBS as well....but something has to be said for the company as well..

Business side in teh later 80's, maybe that wasnt the best, but I cannot say that I wouldnt spend lavishly during that era when it was the 80's and being lavish was the thing to do when you had money...and looking at his company up until Magnum crash, it was sailing and doing really well...

No Crockett = No WCW = No 1990's Wrestling Boom

Not only that, but Jim Crockett did Southern style meets national TV successfully, which is something that hasn't been done since. Yes it fizzled out, but Jim Crockett Promotions 1985-1988 remains my absolute favorite era of wrestling to watch, warts and all.

I have seen a lot of people bash Crockett over the years as a clueless idiot, who "let Vince win" and other thinks of that sort. Pretty stupid in my opinion, but I could see how he wouldn't want to deal with any of that sort of stuff or people bombarding him with questions about the family business that went under on his watch