Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Retirement Medical Coverage

What does the WWE offer for medical coverage for retired performers?

I'm asking because the NFL just settled its concussion lawsuit for $765 million -- or about $170,000 per plaintiff. There are a bunch of people Tweeting that WWE offers much more comprehensive retirement coverage for its retired performers than the NFL does.

Is that true?

The WWE deal seems to be if they like you and you're in the fold, they'll help you out. It seems totally discretionary though, and nobody has anything guaranteed or in writing. They do have that rehab offer out on the table, and they've paid for a lot of guys who need that sort of help, probably more than we even know. They've paid or helped out for some surgeries for various guys. Seems like the closest thing they have to a pension plan is the legends deal, and if you're signed to that there's a better chance they'll shell out if you're desperate, but again, there is nothing like that guaranteed in a legends contract....it's simply royalty money, ownership of your name, and a chance for stuff like collectable figures, video games, spots on DVDs, retro shirts, autograph signings, publicity work etc. etc. It's not a bad deal for a lot of guys, but c'mon

I was pleasantly surprised when I heard Flair on Austin's show say that when Barry Windham had the heart attack and stroke some years back, Vince picked up the bill for his medical costs.

This going to sound like one of YEAH WELL THEY CAN AFFORD IT things but that probably was a part of the "grooming" process to get Barry to do the Hall of Fame with the Horsemen.

I was pleasantly surprised when I heard Flair on Austin's show say that when Barry Windham had the heart attack and stroke some years back, Vince picked up the bill for his medical costs.

This going to sound like one of YEAH WELL THEY CAN AFFORD IT things but that probably was a part of the "grooming" process to get Barry to do the Hall of Fame with the Horsemen.

We're assuming it's actually true and Flair wasn't just talking out of his ass?

Why wouldn't they have paid for Barry. He's absolutely the sort of guy they'd pick up the cost for. He was a back office guy for a few years as a video producer or what not in the 00s. They've used him on a number of DVDs. His nephews are currently in the company. So far as we know it wasn't immediately due to drugs. Even without the HOF thing, considering what they do pay for, I don't see why they wouldn't cover that.