Pro Wrestling Only

Mike Quackenbush

Nighthawk

It has always amazed me how someone without any formal training managed to A: become one of the business's most respected trainers and B: be someone who has had as many great matches as he has had while somehow never even getting a look from a major promotion. It's difficult to comprehend.

So my question is this: If someone asked you about Mike Quackenbush, what would you say were his contributions to the business (if he made any?) And, what would you say would be a good matchlist to get someone started on his best work?

I give him credit for booking a promotion that built a truly loyal, long-term audience, even if I have loathed most of my experiences with it.

As a wrestler, he can be overly self-aware, which would be similar to my criticism of the whole Chikara product. But he's technically very good and has appeared in some great matches. I'm thinking of the 2009 KOT match with Saint and Skayde against Danielson, Claudio and Dave Taylor and the 2009 tag with Ricochet against Danielson and Claudio. Also the trios we saw live in Delaware where he matched up with Negro Navarro. He wasn't the best guy in any of those matches but certainly held his own. His 2011 blowoff with Kingston was very good as were some of his matches with Hero.

I give him credit for booking a promotion that built a truly loyal, long-term audience, even if I have loathed most of my experiences with it.

As a wrestler, he can be overly self-aware, which would be similar to my criticism of the whole Chikara product. But he's technically very good and has appeared in some great matches. I'm thinking of the 2009 KOT match with Saint and Skayde against Danielson, Claudio and Dave Taylor and the 2009 tag with Ricochet against Danielson and Claudio. Also the trios we saw live in Delaware where he matched up with Negro Navarro. He wasn't the best guy in any of those matches but certainly held his own. His 2011 blowoff with Kingston was very good as were some of his matches with Hero.

the 2009 tag was with Jigsaw.

I suspect "self taught" or "learning on the fly" is far more common in wrestling then we know.

Quack is a good wrestler, who at times has flashes of greatness. He has his annoying habits, but as a worker I find him far less annoying then most indie guys.

As a trainer I don't think he's particularly special at all.

As a promoter I hated the product he produced, but I think developing and expanding his nice was incredibly impressive. Then all this happened.

A: become one of the business's most respected trainers

I like Quack a decent amount, but I'm not sure I agree with this part. Who has he trained that really "made it" (in any sense of the term, indies or WWE)?

Does Claudio count? Or Kingston?

Claudio was already wrestling for a few years and was showing promise before he met Quack for the first time.

One of the first big names in independent wrestling to be mentioned in the dirt sheets and PWI. Seemed like Quack, Reckless Youth, and Christopher Daniels all missed the boat when WCW/ECW died, but the ship sailed so they tried to make the dock a destination instead.

Mike's biggest contribution to indy wrestling was certainly Chikara and the King of Trios Tournament, which helped develop the careers of many young talents as well as a platform for talent who otherwise would have been considered too old to perform.

Quackenbush-Kingston was as fitting a coronation for a Grand Champion as possible, and a fine match. Sending Sara Del Ray out there to fend on her own against men sometimes twice her size was something to behold. Viewing the antics of Archibald Peck from show-to-show was always a highlight.

I can't really speak to his training efforts, but based on his in-ring contribution and his desire to release a quality product when the opportunity provided, I would say Mike Quackenbush is the kind of wrestling mind the business could use more of on a wholesale level.

Maybe even someone who will need a closer look under the microscope, as I can't recall too many DUDs or classics.