Pro Wrestling Only

PTB Episode 256: PTB Summit: Tag Team Extravaganza

Bigelow34

In this new episode of the PTB Podcast Vintage Vault, Scott and Justin welcome Chad, Charles, and Peter from prowrestlingonly.com! This is the first Place to Be Nation Summit discussing tag teams. They discuss The Brainbusters, The Rockers, The Hart Foundation, The Hollywood Blonds, New Age Outlaws and more! With each tag team, the boys give their opinions on who were the best members within the tag team, who had the better career, and match highlights. At the end, we announce our best tag team and tag team wrestler in history!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-pod...m-extravaganza/

So fire up this action packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Mike because it is time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

Check out more from the Place to Be Podcast right here at Place to Be Nation including interviews with Kevin Kelly, J.J. Dillon, Scott Keith, Christopher Robin Zimmerman, Christopher Daniels, Gary Michael Cappetta, Scott Hudson, Bruno Lauer, Stevie Richards, Eddie Edwards and many, many more.

Also, the PTB Podcast is now available on the Stitcher Radio app! Visit www.stitcher.com for more information!

Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

www.facebook.com/placetobenation

@Place2BeNation

Loss the WWF having the better division in 89 is spot on. WCW in 89 the tag division was rebuilding with Freebirds on top for a bit. They lost Tully and Arn, and lost MX for a while. The Steiners growing, Doom forms in October, Fantastics gone by Marchish. Then you have Road Warriors and Varsity Club and SST. The WCW really is missing that team than can have good matches with anyone. Most of the time we generalize that the NWA has the better tag division. When you break it down year by year things 89 clearly WWF had the better division. Then in 1990 WCW is back on top in the tag division.

Pete I thought of the Guerreros when thinking of most underrated tag team. Quebecers are a great underrated team also and I never thought of them.

For best tag workers I feel Arn, Eaton, Steamboat, and after watching the AWA set I feel Bockwinkle should be mentioned in the mix.

Soup the Hart Foundation are good, but totally overrated. When they were heels Bret's chest bump into the corner always set up the faces hot tag. I mean you just knew it was coming.

My name is Martin. I keep meaning to do one of those introductory posts and I am going to head over there now. I really appreciate the shout-out. You hope after watching all that footage that you will find a hidden gem and I am glad that you enjoyed it as much as I did. I will say you really have to watch the feud progress from Islanders turning heel on the Can-Ams on TV, Zenk being a pussy, Martel saying he would fight them both on his own (Tama match is so friggin good), Tito getting dragged into it, and then the badass tag matches.

I am glad that unlike the Legends of Wrestling Roundtable this did not become a Ray Stevens wankfest. In their defense, it was Pat Patterson and Bock on the same show, so you knew those two were going to put over Stevens huge, but they would never stop talking about their respective teams. If I remember correctly, Patterson kept trying to hint his was the better team, but Bock kept respectfully replying well we didn't see each other's matches. It was a fun bit of passive aggression. This had a bit more variety than that show, but did lack the bitchin' Ray Stevens stories from Bock & Pat.

I thought this was a good mix of opinions. Whoever said the Rockers was the best tag team is a wicked awesome dude! Whoever did not like the Fantastics, well you suck! If that is the same person, I guess it is all rendered mott. I know Chad's, Charles' and Peter's voices, but I still get Justin and Scott confused.

I don't think the Rockers are the best tag team ever. I am a huge Midnights mark. I just like that people are coming around to placing the Rockers in that elite category. Chad, you hit every single elite Rockers match I would mention. To pick nits, I prefer the Hart Foundation 11/89 MSG match to the phantom switch, but you rattled off all of them. It is really the variety of great matches with a variety of teams that should be the Rockers hallmark. I think they are really even, but I give the edge to Marty because he is just as good as Shawn at the FIP, but much better at the hot tag. Shawn had better charisma and ring presence.

Hell why stop at Martel. I think we can make the case for Tito being better than Steamboat. There are huge gaps in Steamboat's activity and some real dull stretches. I think all three are real close. Obviously, Steamboat has some really high peak profile matches, which are really hard to overcome, but I think all three are close. I have watched the vast majority of Strike Force matches and what separates Martel from Tito as a tag worker is that Tito is content to just sell during the heat segment, but Martel will work in hope spots. Santana was very rarely a tag worker in his career from what I have seen so kudos to him for being as good as he was.

I preferred the Midnights/Fantastics series to the Midnights/RNRs series for the longest time. Wrestlewar '90 match bridges the gap, but I need to go back and rewatch all that.

Hart Foundation are wicked overrated. I don't mind the repeated spots as much, but it is just the mechanical feel of the matches. There is something I can't put my finger on, but Bret is way, way better singles wrestler.

I have never seen a Owen/Yoko match and you guys got me interested. Hardys late run in '06 sounds really interesting and I will give that match against MNM a look see when I get a chance.

shoe, Bock is a spot on pick. Bock & Saito fuckin' rules.

So can I now pick the Steiners as my most underrated tag team? ;) I have been writing about the Islanders forever, but I will give a shout-out to the Islanders as a great underrated tag team. They worked really good matches against Hart Foundation, Dream Team and Demolition as babyfaces and Bulldogs as heels and then excellent matches against Strike Force as heels. The Windham & Dustin team was a really good tag team throughout 1992 that sometimes gets overlooked.

Best tag worker I will go with Eaton. My underrated pick would be the Hammer as he was really good with Beefcake and Bravo. Weirdly enough, I couldn't find any of his matches with Honky. Imagine if we had Valentine & Flair footage.

Great show and I am like 6 matches away from finishing my big late 80s WWF tag series then I am never watching another tag match. I kid, I kid, but seriously it is getting tiresome.

Another team you don't hear that much about, but they are pretty good. It's the Nightmares, Galaxians, Danny Davis, and Ken Wayne. They were the 1st team Cornette managed and really were the template that Cornette turned the MX into . Not the gimmicks, but the type of work that was used . For example , blind tags, double team moves etc.