Pro Wrestling Only

TNA

vannaboy

I know current wrestling isn't really talked about but ive been watching TNA and here's somethings ive picked up. Is it just me or is everything rushed? Now I know in today everything is but look a few things. Sabin: his turn was random and took maybe one week. It looked as if he was going into a feud with manic only to then look like it was going to be with A double instead became a five way. Randomly by the way. Oh and while talking about A double I was hyped for a program with him and Kenny King..... But they gave us the match and blow off in about ten minutes. Now I know this is one giant bitch fit but has it always been that bad? And this is the build for the top PPV.

TNA also has a historical problem of, when they attempt long term angles, managing to mess them up one way or the other, be it creatively or artistically or it doesn't get over or Vince Russo just changes his fucking mind and they drop everything.

Take Hogan-Bully Ray for example. Spent MONTHS building around this story, knowing full well Hogan couldn't or shouldn't ever wrestle again, so the payoff is supposed to be Brooke Hogan turning on her dad. Whatever. Hogan won't wrestle so it'll be his proxy vs. Bully with the Hogans in the corners. At least it's something and in theory Hogan is giving a rub to his guy. Then, IRL, Brooke goes and gets engaged, blowing their story out of the water. Then they just release Brooke, Bully ends up with Brooke Tessmacher as his valet as some sort of swerve payoff to the whole thing.....and Hogan is gone. Only in TNA.

This also relates to AJ Styles, who I presume would have been Hogan's proxy. They built up his downfall pretty well, where he loses a match where he can't get another title shot for a year, then he loses a Loser Leaves Town match to his arch nemesis and all around dickhead Christopher Daniels. The stuff with Daniels/Kaz fucking with AJ Styles was good for the most part (I'm trying to forget that awful pregnancy angle). So he's off tv for a while and he becomes a brooding loner type. Should be cool, right? But TNA delivers it in such a way that the crowd seems completely confused about whether to cheer or boo him (they were supposed to cheer), so they mostly just greet him with silence. Then Kurt Angle goes and gets yet another DWI (he gets a stern talking to and another trip to rehab on TNA's dime) when he's already been advertised for a big match on TV. So what do they do? They drop Styles' brooding loner gimmick cold turkey and he comes out with his old look and old theme as Kurt Angle's replacement. Ok. The longest story they have going, with one of their top guys, and they just drop it without payoff for a match on F'n Impact. And it definitely wasn't getting over and AJ needed to go back to normal AJ, but at least come up with a reason for it. At least they stuck with their longterm plan and had him win the Bound for Glory series.

One other example is how bad they screwed up on James Storm. Built him up forever, wins BFG series, is super over and the fans want the belt on him.....and they don't deliver. He's never recovered from that, and now he's slumming it in the tag division with Gunnar of all people. Not exactly AMW or Beer Money. He also seems pretty disinterested and unmotivated after working his ass off when Beer Money split and he was given the ball only to get it immediately snatched away because Hogan/Bischoff didn't think he fit the image of a world champion or some such bullshit. Great of them to come to that conclusion after he's already been built up for 6 months as the guy who's going to be the next champ

It was Roode who won the BFG series and Hogan and Bisch decided he wasn't the guy and put Angle over him at BFG, wasn't it?

Correct. Angle would lose it to Storm in a minute on the post-BFG Impact, then Storm would drop it a week or two later to Roode. They built up Storm challenging Roode pretty huge for Lockdown in Storm's hometown but Roode retained, Storm took a leave and came back for the BFG Series. But they ended up putting the title on Aries so the Storm/Roode blowoff was a non title street fight at BFG.

ah, that's correct, thank you. with all the shit that happens in TNA my memory can be spotty. now I recall that that's how they turned Roode heel in the first place. That actually turned out pretty well, with him losing to Angle being the catalyst for his heel turn, and the belt went on him pretty quick. They really dropped the ball on Storm though.

It was Roode who won the BFG series and Hogan and Bisch decided he wasn't the guy and put Angle over him at BFG, wasn't it?

Correct. Angle would lose it to Storm in a minute on the post-BFG Impact, then Storm would drop it a week or two later to Roode. They built up Storm challenging Roode pretty huge for Lockdown in Storm's hometown but Roode retained, Storm took a leave and came back for the BFG Series. But they ended up putting the title on Aries so the Storm/Roode blowoff was a non title street fight at BFG.

This was the booking which totally cut the legs out from under James Storm. Nobody cares about him any more, he's just another guy on the roster. The fact that he is looking bloated and uninterested these days is a shame.

This was the booking which totally cut the legs out from under James Storm. Nobody cares about him any more, he's just another guy on the roster. The fact that he is looking bloated and uninterested these days is a shame.

Yea... he should of went into a long program with Roode not with Angle. And as for no one giving a shit that's the case with most of the roster. But that's what happens when your off Tv for weeks at a time.

Got a ticket for the iMPACT! taping coming up in Cincinnati. Mainly because they're running the Cincinnati Gardens. A historic building that never gets used for wrestling anymore since WWE has long since moved on to bigger buildings in the area. It's where I saw one of my first live events back around '89-'90 an NWA show inc. Great Muta, the Samoan Swat Team, and local boy Brian Pillman vs. Michael P.S. Hayes.