Pro Wrestling Only

Brock Lesnar vs. Bill Goldberg - WM20

Smack2k

Oh, that crowd can fuck off. Two whole minutes. Boo hoo. I hate it when wrestling fans act like entitled fuckheads and expect wrestlers to give them something special that they only intend to shit on anyway. Like the match or don't, but it's not like anyone was going to give them a chance. They had no chance at all.

Fuck you, I was in that crowd!

The match sucked and they did nothing to make the match watchable. I'm not asking for something special, I'm asking for something. They just stared at each other for two minutes.

WWE should've called an audible and gone home way early.

I agree with many of the points made in this thread.

I've only seen that match twice; once live and a few months ago on YouTube.

I think the crowd was just trying to be smart-assed thinking it was still going to be a kick-ass, balls-out Goldberg-Steiner match and when it wasn't they got even more restless. I don't think the match stunk; I think it could have been a lot better. I think everyone was expecting all-out war and what we got was far from it.

No big deal for them, they collected their paycheck either way. And back then I totally agreed with Brock Lesnar leaving due to concerns about his future health. I was getting a bit turned off by how needlessly violent the in-ring product had become.

Oh, that crowd can fuck off. Two whole minutes. Boo hoo. I hate it when wrestling fans act like entitled fuckheads and expect wrestlers to give them something special that they only intend to shit on anyway. Like the match or don't, but it's not like anyone was going to give them a chance. They had no chance at all.

I thought it was all Shane McMahon's fault?

I think the reason why that frustrates me so much is that one of the reasons Brock left was because he saw a locker room full of guys strung out on pain pills and decided he didn't want to end up the same way. Knowing what we know about wrestlers dying, and knowing it was the last night for both of them in the company, I can understand the mindset of just making it through the night and moving on with life. It may not be the most professional thing in the world, but I understand it.

That is a great point...if they go out there and the crowd gets really into it, I think those two could have got something going and had a decent match, I really do..

As for the "its not those days anymore"...you just described why the whole sport doenst have the passion attached to it that it did then...you have little kids cheering for their favorite and us watching it hoping for a good match but also hoping for something to tear down later...I am part of that group...but its not the same...

eh, I stick with my original hypothesis

It was WMXX. At MSG. Fans in that crowd were hyped and MSG only held around 20,000 at that time. Everyone knew Goldberg was leaving. Everyone knew Lesnar had just put in notice and everyone had expecting Lesnar to be beating Goldberg on his way out knew they wouldn't get that, and the fans that expected some cool match where Lesnar killed Goldberg knew they wouldn't get that. Everyone knew it would end up being a clusterfuck in the week leading up to it. The idea that the fans just should have pretended that they didn't know anything going in and just treat it like any other match is retarded, sorry. The crowd should fake caring about a match when they know that both guys had already checked out? F that.

Honestly, I put the onus on Lesnar and Goldberg. They got shook by the crowd. It's possible they could have brought that crowd back and had an epic match, it was a tough scenario, but it's possible.

But blaming the crowd is dumb. All they wanted to do was boo both of them and see Stone Cold stunner them both out of the company, and that's what they got.

It was WMXX. At MSG. Fans in that crowd were hyped and MSG only held around 20,000 at that time. Everyone knew Goldberg was leaving. Everyone knew Lesnar had just put in notice and everyone had expecting Lesnar to be beating Goldberg on his way out knew they wouldn't get that, and the fans that expected some cool match where Lesnar killed Goldberg knew they wouldn't get that. Everyone knew it would end up being a clusterfuck in the week leading up to it. The idea that the fans just should have pretended that they didn't know anything going in and just treat it like any other match is retarded, sorry. The crowd should fake caring about a match when they know that both guys had already checked out? F that.

These may be bad examples comparatively speaking, but in team sports players always get cheered by fans knowing full well that this could be that player's final game in that uniform.

And using wrestling analogies, how many faces (and even a heel or two like CM Punk leaving ROH) got "PLEASE DON'T GO! PLEASE DON'T GO!" chants from fans whom knew that they were working their final match for the promotion and were heading else where? It does happen where an outgoing wrestler is able to get the crowd on their side, no matter how shitty their manner of leaving may seem at the time.

These may be bad examples comparatively speaking, but in team sports players always get cheered by fans knowing full well that this could be that player's final game in that uniform.

And using wrestling analogies, how many faces (and even a heel or two like CM Punk leaving ROH) got "PLEASE DON'T GO! PLEASE DON'T GO!" chants from fans whom knew that they were working their final match for the promotion and were heading else where? It does happen where an outgoing wrestler is able to get the crowd on their side, no matter how shitty their manner of leaving may seem at the time.

Look at it without hidsight: Fans were pretty pissed off at Lesnar. He was receiving a mega push and just up and left the company during a time when he was one of the best they had. And in those scenarios you mentioned, it was known for a while that the player was retiring, so fans got a chance to digest and come to grips. With Brock, it was so sudden that the fans just reacted emotionally to pretty shitty news.

Goldberg was an outsider that was barely used between the Rumble and Mania and wasn't as beloved and with Austin standing right there next to him, he didn't stand much of a chance.