Pro Wrestling Only

The Best of ECW

So I've decided to go through and review the phenomenal Best of ECW set that Goodhelmet, Dylan and others put together. I have it all at a tumblr I set up below. I know a lot of people on here have either watched a lot of the matches, participated in building the set, or have purchased and started watching it, so I figured this would be a good spot to put it. I went longform for Disc 1, but am not sure if I'm going to get as detailed going forward. Feedback is welcome!

The Best of ECW

• 4 months later...

I'm going disc by disc and then revisiting the extras at the end because I think it'll wrap some nice little bows together. I remember when the Memphis set came out that someone actually did a chronological process involving the extras and I thought, "Holy crap, that's incredible." Plus, the way the set was put together, I just figured this would be the best way to go about it all anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Jumped into Disc 13.

I think if you were trying to rank the 150, none of the four matches from 2000 on this disc would be anywhere close to the top. In particular, I couldn't take the false feeling intensity of the Dreamer-CW Anderson match. If I recall right, Anderson hadn't done anything particularly vile to turn up the heat on that feud, and it felt very much like Dreamer trying to recapture the glory of feuds from 5 years earlier.

I'd never seen much of the Funk/Gilbert stuff... Eddie as King of Philadelphia was pretty entertaining.

The Public Enemy section is great. The music videos, the funny yet intense promos, and the violent but sloppy matches... they are like a perfect avatar of what made early ECW so great.

I'm a huge fan of CW Anderson's work so I'm interested in seeing his big matches again once I get there, but I always dug his gimmick as the long lost Anderson brother.

I feel like the writing at the time didn't help him much. There was a cool character there, but they were doing something like 1 TV Taping a month by the time he became a prominent player.