Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #10

titans10main.png

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrest...-to-march-1980/

Parv, James, Johnny, Pete and Kelly eat up more 1980 goodness:

On the docket tonight:

02-09 Vince McMahon conducts an empty arena interview with Bruno Sammartino (Championship Wrestling)

02-80 Lou Albano (w/Wild Samoans), Bob Backlund promos (WWF TV)

02-09 BOB BACKLUND vs BOBBY DUNCUM (WWF Title – Philadelphia Spectrum)

02-09 TITO SANTANA & GORILLA MONSOON vs WILD SAMOANS (Philadelphia Spectrum)

02-16 LARRY ZBYSZKO vs MIKE MASTERS (Championship Wrestling)

03-01 BRUNO SAMMARTINO vs LARRY ZBYSZKO (Philadelphia Spectrum)

03-80 Bruno Sammartino & Larry Zbyszko promos (WWF TV)

03-24 BRUNO SAMMARTINO vs LARRY ZBYSZKO (Madison Square Garden)

03-24 BOB BACKLUND vs SIKA (WWF Title – Madison Square Garden)

- The debate topic: The Lost Art of the Manager, including what makes a good manager?, why did managers decline? and the "Mount Rushmore" for managers

- Kelly gives bios for Grand Wizard and Mike Masters

- Introducing Super 800!

titans10super8.png

- Parv and Johnny debate whether a crowd can be "wrong"

- And more general marking out for the awesomeness of the Bruno Sammartino vs. Larry Zbyszko storyline

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Two different Mr. Clean/Mr. Kleen wrestlers from the 60s (not to be confused with Mr. Clean, aka the Grand Wizard, aka Ernie Roth). Also pictured in the second photo, Handy Andy, aka "Mini-Kleen". The Mr. Kleen in the second photo is named Ed Albers, and according to him, "There must have been 50..." guys working Mr. Clean gimmicks in the 60s.

• 2 weeks later...

The Manager Mt. Rushmore was a good conversation - even if Parv was outright dismissive of Sherri ;)

No one mentioned Paul E. as a potential fringe guy? His latest run (where they even used the super old school stipulation of "5 minutes alone w/ the manager") has him close in my opinion.

Heenan, Cornette, Jimmy Hart are consensus locks with some good dialogue from everyone on who rounds things out.

Posted Image

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrest...-to-march-1980/

Parv, James, Johnny, Pete and Kelly eat up more 1980 goodness:

On the docket tonight:

02-09 Vince McMahon conducts an empty arena interview with Bruno Sammartino (Championship Wrestling)

02-80 Lou Albano (w/Wild Samoans), Bob Backlund promos (WWF TV)

02-09 BOB BACKLUND vs BOBBY DUNCUM (WWF Title – Philadelphia Spectrum)

02-09 TITO SANTANA & GORILLA MONSOON vs WILD SAMOANS (Philadelphia Spectrum)

02-16 LARRY ZBYSZKO vs MIKE MASTERS (Championship Wrestling)

03-01 BRUNO SAMMARTINO vs LARRY ZBYSZKO (Philadelphia Spectrum)

03-80 Bruno Sammartino & Larry Zbyszko promos (WWF TV)

03-24 BRUNO SAMMARTINO vs LARRY ZBYSZKO (Madison Square Garden)

03-24 BOB BACKLUND vs SIKA (WWF Title – Madison Square Garden)

- The debate topic: The Lost Art of the Manager, including what makes a good manager?, why did managers decline? and the “Mount Rushmore” for managers

- Kelly gives bios for Grand Wizard and Mike Masters

- Introducing Super 800!

Posted Image

- Parv and Johnny debate whether a crowd can be “wrong”

- And more general marking out for the awesomeness of the Bruno Sammartino vs. Larry Zbyszko storyline

Bruno was the greatest babyface promo when it came to realism. He portrayed a great athlete who didn't bullshit the fans and made you feel his pain and anger. No one has done promos like that since Mick Foley.

My wrestling viewing has been limited lately due to work so took me a while to finish youtubing this and then listening to show. Actually popped disc is first time late at night and after watching the first Bruno promo to open things I shut off my TV as I felt I wouldn't watching anything better the rest of way. What a promo the fact that he topped it later was even more awesome. Larry has really picked up too as he became way more interesting with this heel turn. Mount Rushmore of Wrestling Managers for me is Heenan, Cornette, Jimmy Hart and... Sherri Martel!!! I"m with Kelly on really liking her. I liked the Duncum/Backlund matches but good points about them seeming to be out of sequence with Backlund winning clean first match and things getting closer over the next two. I know Johnny picked the Monsoon tag match as his favorite but damn did I really get into this as it went on. Gorilla was great and loved his huge bump at the end of the match. Looks like Monsoon could still go and be effective in tag teams.

The Larry/Bruno matches were off the charts with the crowd heat. I had the same exact view as Pete on the Philly one when watching thinking it would be more violent at first before picking up that it was all part of the storyline with the promos leading up. Bruno's delayed hulk up is so great and he builds it awesomely and his timing of letting loose on Larry has the crowd going to another level. Really enjoyed both Matches. Hard to pick a favorite but probably the New York one, barely. Backlund/Sika was crap but the first hour and forty minutes of wrestling before this was a hell of a fun time. I enjoyed these matches and listening to you guys a heck of a lot more than being at Survivor Series. Excellent bios, haiku from James! and loved the stories from Johnny/Heenan to Parv's magical experience at the picture palace.