Pro Wrestling Only

Voices of Wrestling "Match of the Year" Poll

W2BTD

I feel really bad for not voting but I just didnt have it in me to binge watch the Japanese and Mexican stuff I missed and didn't feel right voting here if I didn't.

Having said that who the hell voted for Liger vs Richards vs Nese?

We got a bunch of emails saying the exact same thing. Like I said in the article, I consider that a compliment. We're flattered how seriously people took their ballots. whether they turned them in or not. Thanks.

I would add that while I don't agree with a lot of the finished product, I think this was an excellent idea, well conducted, well put together, produced some surprises (including several I thought were pleasant) and yielded a result that I find to be more credible than the WON Award for MOTY for a variety of reasons

I would add that while I don't agree with a lot of the finished product, I think this was an excellent idea, well conducted, well put together, produced some surprises (including several I thought were pleasant) and yielded a result that I find to be more credible than the WON Award for MOTY for a variety of reasons

That's the best we can ask for, thanks for participating!

For definitely being someone who has starkly opposite taste to the kind represented on Voices of Wrestling, there are only three matches I wouldn't call at least "very good" in that top 15: The January Okada/Tana match, which I thought was incredibly boring; the Undertaker/Punk match, which I thought was "okay" overall and have no interest in seeing again; and the King of Pro Wrestling match, which I thought was a quintessential match of two halves: the first half was really boring and nondescript while the extended home stretch I thought was very well done and pretty great.

I did try to go off my beaten path and checked out that highly ranked Dragon Gate tag, and thought it was pretty bad overall. Some pretty spots, yeah, but man I wish they didn't try to work that long. Whenever they were trying to work a traditional match outside the runs of big moves I thought it was actively bad. Like anyone I can appreciate big dives and pretty spots but I'd appreciate it a lot more if they just dropped the pretenses and went out and just started hitting their spots and condensed the whole thing into ten minutes or so.

Ditto what Dylan and Sam said. I had a blast watching 50 candidate matches in a 2 week window to compile my list and even had matches I didn't think would have a chance (Hell No/Ryback vs. the Shield) make my overall top 10. I also ended up picking Cena vs. Bryan as my MOTY which I wouldn't have guessed starting out.

Superb job by Rich and Joe and a lot of opinions homogenized together in those 50 matches.