Pro Wrestling Only

Observer HoF

Guest DylanWaco

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Observer HOF will continue to be meaningless until the Rock N' Rolls are in.

Any Hall of Fame that refuses to induct the team that redefined tag team wrestling with a formula still used by pretty much every promotion to this day is nothing more than a joke.

Guest Famous Mortimer

Im not disagreeing or agreeing but whatre yalls reasons for promoting aja kong before HHH?

For every reason that separates a truly brilliant wrestler from some journeyman. HHH's last consistently good period was in 2000, and I don't think that was enough to get him in. Aja dominated for a good five or six years, and was one of the greatest workers of the inter-promotional period in joshi. The best big person ever, I think, better than Vader, better than anyone else you'd care to mention, and top 3 joshi workers of all time.

HHH on the other hand just doesn't have any of it. He's been put in purely on where he's been on the card for the past five or six years. He's buried at least two genuine, believable world champs in Booker T and RVD, buried the super-over but rubbish Steiner (and had two of the worst matches ever with him, making sure Steiner went straight back to the mid-card), reduced Goldberg's drawing power with the stupidity in the elimination chamber...and so on and so forth. Criticising HHH is like shooting fish in a barrel.

But like I said somewhere else, if HHH can get in the WON HOF, then I expect Lachlan Murdoch to be inducted into the business hall of fame very soon.

No, he hands out votes to his stooges but whatever he says has a huge effect on things. His anti-Backlund opinion was enough to keep Backlund out until recently. And most of the guys getting in are getting in on his word alone. Do you really think anyone with a vote has seen a Frank Gotch match? I'd be surprised if even half have seen someone like Don Leo Jonathan in action.

Guest MJHimJfadeaway23

IMO, people don't take in-ring work enough into consideration when doing the HOF.

Hennig, Eddy Guerrero, Owen Hart all had 6-10 year period when they were some of the best (Some of meaning top 5-10) workers in the entire industry, yet they can't get more than 20/-30% of the votes at best. Disturbing.

Guest Famous Mortimer

I don't think Hennig ever had a long enough time right at the top of his game, to be honest. But I could be wrong. And Owen Hart still isn't in? What a crock.

Guest MJHimJfadeaway23

I don't think Hennig ever had a long enough time right at the top of his game, to be honest. But I could be wrong. And Owen Hart still isn't in? What a crock.

Hennig's best work was in the AWA where he was the best worker in the entire promotion for a good 5 years, then add that to the 3 years of excellent work he had in the WWE too. I'll put his matches with Bockwinkel up against any classic match from the 1980s.

Guest DylanWaco

Meltzer refuses to release the names of voters, but some are known. Alvarez, Marvez, Dave, John Williams, Steve Yohe, Todd Martin and Dan Wahlers all have voters. Mike Mooneyham also has a vote. So does Tenay and Dory Funk Junior to name two others I am sure of.

He gives alot of ballots out to ex-wrestlers, current wrestlers, reporters and historians, but the whole thing is a canard since "reporters" include people like Wahlers and the wrestlers usually vote for friends or personal favorites.

The whole thing is an embrassing joke.

I won't go into specific arguments, but as much as there is a case for Owen, there is a solid argument not to put Owen in the Hall. He's not a slam dunk case.

Guest Some Guy

Im not disagreeing or agreeing but whatre yalls reasons for promoting aja kong before HHH?

buried the super-over but rubbish Steiner (and had two of the worst matches ever with him, making sure Steiner went straight back to the mid-card),
That's not really fair to HHH. Steiner blew up within seconds and HHH busted his ass in a lost cause. I am not in any way a HHH apologist but Steiner was fucking terrible and he was only brought in to put over HHH in the first place. Watch the RR match from Boston and witness Steiner blowing up and then throwing about 5 belly-to-bellies for lack of ability to do anything else. Steiner was a crippled, roided up mutant who had no business being signed in the first place.

Booker, RVD, and Goldberg are good examples of HHH fucking people over.

Knowing Dave and the people he talks to, voters probably include Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Jim Ross, Pat Patterson, Chris Jericho, Steve Austin, The Rock, Michael Hayes, Paul Heyman, Jim Cornette, Chris Benoit, Konnan, Raven, Dory Funk Jr, Terry Funk, Larry Matysik and Mike Tenay, among others. Hardly just Meltzer stooges anyway you slice it.

Anyway, HHH getting in is no surprise since he got within a percentage point last year. I'm more curious about the breakdown in votes (current wrestlers, historians, retired wrestlers, etc) than anything. I'm also curious who came close to getting inducted.

The only slam dunk picks that I see making it in sometime in the future without much struggle are The Rock and Rey Misterio Jr. Both are eligible in two years.

Guest Famous Mortimer

There's been debate about Mysterio because he started working for some fed in Mexico in 1990. Someone wrote to Meltzer about it and he said it was too small and didn't count, something along those lines. And The Rock started working for the WWF in 1992?

I genuinely had no idea who got a vote, but looking at that likely list I'd say there were about three people on that list who'd seen an Aja Kong match.

Guest bravesfan

There's been debate about Mysterio because he started working for some fed in Mexico in 1990. Someone wrote to Meltzer about it and he said it was too small and didn't count, something along those lines. And The Rock started working for the WWF in 1992?

Requirements are either 35 years of age, or a certain amount of years in the business (15, IIRC).

HHH turned 35 last month, while Rock will turn 35 in May of 2007. Mysterio turned 31 this year.

Guest Famous Mortimer

Requirements are either 35 years of age, or a certain amount of years in the business (15, IIRC).

HHH turned 35 last month, while Rock will turn 35 in May of 2007. Mysterio turned 31 this year.

Okay, I just thought it was 15 years in the business.

Knowing Dave and the people he talks to, voters probably include Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Jim Ross, Pat Patterson, Chris Jericho, Steve Austin, The Rock, Michael Hayes, Paul Heyman, Jim Cornette, Chris Benoit, Konnan, Raven, Dory Funk Jr, Terry Funk, Larry Matysik and Mike Tenay, among others. Hardly just Meltzer stooges anyway you slice it.

Anyway, HHH getting in is no surprise since he got within a percentage point last year. I'm more curious about the breakdown in votes (current wrestlers, historians, retired wrestlers, etc) than anything. I'm also curious who came close to getting inducted.

The only slam dunk picks that I see making it in sometime in the future without much struggle are The Rock and Rey Misterio Jr. Both are eligible in two years.

I'm curious about those you mentioned, as well as how some newer eligible wrestlers, like Chris Jericho, did this year. I'm also curious about those who got low enough percentage votes that they won't be eligible next year, and if there's anyway questionable in that group too.

Again, hey, at least the Freebirds finally got in.

I don't like the WON HOF. There are too many non-HOFers in there for it to be legit or useful.

There should be...

No tag teams.

No active wrestlers.

No MMA.

This isn't the crossover-hope-for-success awards, this is about fuckin wrasslin and nothing else no matter how hard Meltzer tries to hitch his professional wrestling wagon to the MMA train.

MLB, NFL, NHL, and the NBA don't allow teams into their HOF. That would just make it easier for worthless guys to piggyback upon the actual HOFer guys.

Like the other hall's, no active competitors should be HOF eligible until they are retired or dead. Sure, it's wrestling and guys "never" retire but then again, is that really an acceptable defense? Wrestling fans are just dopes if they try to defend this HOF. I'd rather come up with my own HOF instead and actually do something construtive instead of just bitching up a storm whenever the WON HOF results come in. Meltzer's HOF is just a lost cause.