Pro Wrestling Only

Favorite/Least Favorite Time-Limit-Draw

rainmakerrtv

The recent podcast on Wrestlemania IV put me in mind of how difficult it is to pull off a great match that ends in a Time Limit Draw. Done well, it can be an exciting tension builder, wondering whether or not someone is going to pull out the victory before time runs out. Done poorly, it can be a boring display of restholds and strung together, meaningless spots. My current favorite is the Hennig vs Bockwinkel one hour draw from the AWA, which told a great story of the young gun getting more and more anxious to put away the veteran champ. On the other end of the spectrum is the recently discussed Jake Roberts vs Rick Rude Wrestlemania IV match. The Steamboat vs Flair epic from a year later would show how a headlock can be used and still have a match be exciting, but Rude uses it in this one to put the match (and audience) into the deep freeze. One match I enjoyed when I first saw it but didn't on subsequent viewings was the 5/7/1995 Manami Toyota vs Kyoko Inoue match that wont the WON Match of the Year. it just seemed to be a long stretch of two people rolling through their finishers then kicking out with no sense that anything might win the match for them.

So what are your favorites and least favorites? What do you feel makes for a great time limit draw and what makes for a poor one?

I've probably seen worse time limit draws but my least favourite by far is the MVC/Steiners draw at Beach Blast 92. A typically boring MVC match (Steiners at the Clash and the Windham/Rhodes title change are the only matches I enjoyed from their run) that should never have been in the main event slot. The worse thing about it is that it felt like complete overkill following the terrific Roode/Steamer iron man. Odd decision.

Yeah, Flair/Steamboat wasn't a draw. It was booked as a draw finish, but Steamboat got the shoulder up when Flair bridged back on the flying chicken wing.

I always hated the idea that matches had a shorter time limit than normal, which made a draw a formality. A lot of 30-minute, 10-minute, 15-minute draws. That type of stuff. Takes away a lot of the drama.

As far as matches themselves go, The Flair/Jumbo 83 match was a great draw. Kobashi/Kawada in 95 (both draws, the 60-minute in January and the 30-minute at the Carnival, even if the booking itself stunk.) Still haven't seen the heralded 1/15/95 draw between the Four Pillars of Heaven. If Rock/HHH counts, Rock/HHH. And if that counts, then Steamboat/Rude at Beach Blast 92.

My exception to that short draw rule is probably Taue/Misawa from 04. Taue was a fucking king in that match. Another one of those times were booking kills the result, but the match itself was good stuff.

On the negative side, Bret/Shawn, Angle/Brock...maybe a few others.