Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-08-10-NJPW-G1 Climax] Jun Akiyama vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Akiyama has been my MVP of this project, at least of what I've seen (basically through '05). Tenzan is a guy that has never done much for me. I can't remember the last time a test of strength spot got the crowd to roar the way this one did. Akiyama being a smart ass, riling up Tenzan by rolling into the ring then back out to break the count was fun. I don't really get why, but Tenzan is over huge. It wouldn't be a match from this time if there wasn't a tease and then counter spot on the ramp/walkway. This time Akiyama keeps going back to that well with his three DDTs. Tenzan takes a good beating here but gets to land some of his big offense on Akiyama. Especially Mongolian chops, which the crowd is way too into. Tenzan's diving drop looks so damn awkward. Like CM Punk's elbow drop awkward. His moonsault, on the otherhand, looks like it would crush Akiyama. Too bad he misses, now we'll never know.This won't make my list. Akiyama finishes the job with two exploders. I'm a mark for that move, I'll admit it. Channeling Dikembe Mutombo made it even better. About ***. It seemed important to watch for context going into their rematch a week later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2003-08-10-NJPW-G1 Climax] Jun Akiyama vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan