Pro Wrestling Only

[2005-11-05-NOAH-3rd Great Voyage] Takeshi Rikio vs Akira Taue

Loss

• 3 months later...

Rikio is pretty limited. He doesn't seem to have much in the way of early match offense. His mid to late match offense is mostly lariats. That being said, Taue gets the most out of every impactful Rikio move the way he sells throughout. He really puts it over that the guy hits like a truck despite having about 5 moves. Taue isn't laying anything in either. Finishing run is mostly worked really smart, with a few quibbles. I didn't like the three backdrop nodowas, but Taue's look of disbelief after the second was only a nearfall was all kinds of awesome. Same for the suplex nodowa. I can't in any kind of seriousness put this in my top 30, but it could barely make 40. Taue got more out of what I saw from Rikio than I would have thought possible.

edit: Rikio's turnaround early comes at such an opportune moment. It's another example of the genius of Akira Taue that it happens right there.

• 2 months later...

GHC Heavyweight Champion Takeshi Rikio vs Akira Taue - Budokan 11/05/05

Without a doubt, the MVP of this match was the crowd. As much as I think Japanese crowds are underrated, very rarely do they add as much they did on this night to buoy this match. They were absolutely rabid for Akira Taue even before they came out. Everytime, a small Rikio chant was started it was immediately drowned out by a mighty Taue chant. When Taue won the championship, there is the great wave of people pressing up against the railing screaming Taue! Taue! Taue! Since, incidentally enough, Kobashi/Taue in 2004, NOAH has seemed directionless and cold. On this one night, Akira Taue brought back the magic. We all known it could not be sustainable, but damn it if it was not one helluva moment.

Taue hits an early dropkick sending Rikio crashing to the floor. Everyone erupts because they know what is next. INCOMING! Flying Taue through the ropes onto Rikio! I popped right along with them. The heat for this match was off the charts and really kept the early boring segments very interesting. I loved Taue going for the apron Nodowa settling for a Big Boot, but when he goes for the Nodowa on the floor, he eats a powerbomb. That was some really strong work in Rikio struggling to gain a foothold in this match. It is not to last and Taue runs through some of his usual mid-match offense to the delight of the crowd. Then the match really picks up. I LOVED Rikio's big string of offense before the finish. You could tell how much the crowd was in fear of Taue losing with each Rikio slam. Rikio hitting the Nodowa and then a big splash from the top. O NO HE DIDNT IT! Crowd is losing it. Rikio throws Taue DOWN! Still cant secure the victory. Taue hits a suplex Nodowa and out on to the ramp. They do a great job out there this time Rikio blocks the big boot. Taue awkwardly falls off ramp adding to the feel of the match. NODOWA OFF THE RAMP TO THE FLOOR!!! Can you feel it? In classic Taue fashion, the crowd and I get revved up for a vertical suplex-Nodowa, but Taue just hits a normal vertical suplex, which is sold like death. This is why Taue is King! He has all losing our mind over a vertical suplex. He hits a back drop NODOWA to win the title and the pop is HUGE!

I usually don't have this problem with puroresu where the intangibles dictate how great the match is. Usually if I find the work and story engaging thats how I rate it. Here like you often find in American wrestling, it was the feel good moment that was the real hook. even though the actual match was just good. If you watch this match with sound off, it is a decent *** affair with a nice finish run. You crank the sound though baby and this badboy is awesome. I am giving it ***3/4 and saying it is a lock for the top 100. TAUE! TAUE! TAUE!

• 1 month later...

The crowd was great, and I was of course excited to see Taue win the title. But I can't see listing this. As smart as Taue was, he no longer had the physical ability to drag a slug like Rikio to a high-end singles match. A lot of the offense from both guys just looked like shit. I agree Taue made it about as good as it could have been, but he and the crowd weren't enough to sweep me away.

• GSR changed the title to [2005-11-05-NOAH-3rd Great Voyage] Takeshi Rikio vs Akira Taue