Pro Wrestling Only

[2009-05-06-NOAH-Global Tag League] Mitsuharu Misawa & Go Shiozaki vs Kensuke Sasaki & Takeshi Morishima

Loss

• 4 months later...

This match went about as well as it could. This was the Shiozaki show and I was loving it. Opening leads to Sasaki and Morishima getting heat on Shiozaki. Problem with having Sasaki team with Morishima is that when they do the same things it's easy to see how much better Sasaki does them than Morishima despite being smaller. The eventual comeback happens and Misawa helps where it is needed but mostly lets Shiozaki do the work. Shiozaki's strikes late leave something to be desired. Morishima's late match offense is big as always. Finish is well-worked, only a few non-breakup kickouts of big moves. Shiozaki is really, really big in this match. This probably makes my bottom quarter.

• 3 months later...

Funny, I thought Morishima was the best worker of the four by far.

Mitsuharu Misawa & Go Shiozaki vs Kensuke Sasaki & Takeshi Morishima - NOAH 5/6/09

Knowing what would happen to Misawa a month later makes this match unnerving and pretty sad. This struck as the best representation of generic NOAH work. It is like those RAW tags they were throw out and they are fine while you are watching them, but are totally unmemorable. Morishima is such a hot and cold wrestler. Sometimes, he looks like a timid wrestler not ready to grab the brass ring. Then other times he looks like a total badass (well besides his 9-year old girl haircut) and the future of the company. It is better late than never, but it maybe too little too late. There is a big difference bringing this type of performance to a throwaway tag team match and GHC Heavyweight Championship matches. He looked wild and unbridled throwing some great lariats and just moving with vigor and purpose. I love the spot where Shiozaki got a hope spot and he immediately leapt on him and then splashed him again. The Morishima rocket launcher was also badass. Misawa barely gets involved. Sasaki slept walked through this match. Shiozaki wrestled another strong face in peril performance. More responsibility than necessary was foisted on him too soon once Misawa died and probably would have happened even if Misawa lived, but that was the nature of NOAH. Shiozaki is great at peppering those hope spots in and always struggling. In the Holy Shit moment of the match, Sasaki superplexes Morishima onto Shiozaki's face. The look on Shiozaki's face is "What the Fuck was I thinking?". That looked like it fucking hurt. The one things Shiozaki is not good at is Frakensteiners. The one off the top rope was so frigging bush league. Misawa and Shiozaki double team Morishima to get the beast down. Morishima throws Shiozaki wildly on a back drop driver, but can't follow up. Shiozaki downs him with brainbusters, moonsaults and lariats. When Morishima was not tearing it up, it just felt like Shiozaki/Sasaki were in another strike exchange or people were just getting their shit in. It is a fun match, but nothing I will remember tomorrow. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2009-05-06-NOAH-Global Tag League] Mitsuharu Misawa & Go Shiozaki vs Kensuke Sasaki & Takeshi Morishima