Pro Wrestling Only

[2009-09-26-AJPW-Flashing Tour] Yoshihiro Takayama vs Satoshi Kojima

Loss

• 4 months later...

This had the same things going for it as the 2005 Kawada vs. Kojima match. Opponent with good offense kicking the shit out of Kojima with well-timed hope spots. Same major weakness in the lariat flurry at the end. And Kojima is so bad about telegraphing his comebacks.

AJPW Yoshihiro Takayama vs Satoshi Kojima - AJPW 09/26/06

I have this weird attraction towards All Japan in the 00s. I don't know if it is misplaced loyalty due to my love for 80s and 90s All Japan even though they are the same promotion in name only or if it is because it reminds me of a Japanese version of WCW. They have the strong veterans on top and have some interesting combinations headlining their shows. They use angles/storylines, which are usually stupid, but in a fun WCW way not a shitty TNA way. Most importantly, their wrestling matches feel like a throwback to the 80s and 90s. NOAH is so steeped in Kobashism, unless Akira Taue is wrestling, that you just need a break from all that overkill. New Japan just fucking sucked for years and we will see how it goes once Tanahashi and Co. take over, but All Japan actually has matches that build to a climatic finish rather than the false finish three spots before getting the biggest pop. Akira Taue in 00s All Japan would have been actually really awesome. The Holy Demon Army versus Mutoh/Kojima versus Tenryu/WAR Guy in the early 00s, YES PLEASE! Holy Demon Army versus Minoru Suzuki/Takayama, what a badass match that could have been! There was a lot wrong with All Japan, but my biggest problem has been Satoshi Kojima. I have really wanted to like him. I really did. You know who he reminds me of, 2005 John Cena. When they tried to make Cena into Austin (rebel against Authority, Bischoff), Rock ("funny" promos), Hogan (superman in the ring), Kojima uses Kobashi's chops, Misawa's Roaring Elbow and Hansen's Western Lariat. Who can forget Johnny Ace's Ace Crusher! C'mon dude make something your own.

The match is basically the Suwama match, but worse because Kojima is just mediocre at everything. Takayama beats the living shit out of Kojima and busts up his nose. Kojima tries to make the same comeback as Suwama, but does not have the presence or moveset. Ace Crusher, Kojima does not disappoint! Takayama brutalizes him with knees and he kicks out at 1 for a back drop driver?!?!?!? FUCK YOU PUNCH To FACE! Everest Suplex only gets two!??!!?? Yep, Kojima is winning, but before first, Takayama hits a nasty Dragon Suplex. Takayama is the God King of The Dragon Suplex. I actually liked Kojima popped up lariat when Takayama went for the big knee, but the following Lariats were not Stan Hansen-esque as the announcer was trying to say to win the Triple Crown titles only to drop it to some lame sumo wrestler that is not Akebono.

It is not a bad match, but watching this back to back with the Suwama match you see how much better Suwama is than Kojima. Takayama beating up anybody is always going to be entertaining. He makes clubbering look so good. Kojima is just so blase. He was not as over as he was in 2005. ***1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2009-09-26-AJPW-Flashing Tour] Yoshihiro Takayama vs Satoshi Kojima