Pro Wrestling Only

Cody Rhodes

Superstar Sleeze

Cody Rhodes is from the generation of inoffensive wrestlers. You know when everyone kinda just looked and wrestled like Randy Orton. I never hated Cody and never liked him. He always just elicited apathy from me. The "Dashing" Cody Rhodes bit and subsequent mask stuff at least gave him a hook, but in the ring I always found him overly mechanical and just someone who thinks too much in the ring about what he is doing. Even on first pass when he united with his brother, I was totally focused on the rejuvenation of Goldust. I thought Cody was his usual adequate self. Goldust was just overshadowing him. Watching the matches back (and watching the PPV matches for the first time), my eyes were opened to how good Cody had gotten in the ring. He was showing way more fire. He seemed more natural. He was engaging the crowd. I was really impressed. Hopefully, they utilize the revitalization to build future stars like they did with Daniel Bryan to give them time to shine in the hot tag. The hot tag is such a great way to take a young, energetic babyface and get him over with crowd because it is all offense. Cody is not even saddled with the load that is Kane. He has his brother to actually build drama as a great face in peril. Now, I know the Brothers Rhodes push has cooled significantly, but does anyone else think that if they had let it continue they could have used the Cody hot tag to parlay it into a bigger singles run ala Daniel Bryan?

There is one quibble I still have with Cody that I think is a big hindrance. He looks so freaking normal. He looks like all my friends. He looks like everyone I work with. He is a man with brown hair (not too dark, not too light, not too short, not too long) with no unique visual features. One of the biggest lines of bullshit, they love to feed to us is that Austin got over despite not having a look. Bullshit. Austin had the shaven head and goatee. The black trunks, black vest fit the badass character We called our Elementary School janitor Stone Cold because that was the Stone Cold look. You need a look. Looking like every nine to fiver, aint gonna cut it. Even though, I am not crazy about the mustache craze sweeping the nation, it was at least something. Am I alone in thinking Cody looks too damn boring to be a true main event player?

When Cody first came in he looked like he was 12. He definitely had that bland style from the developmental system at the time, but that moonsault was already a thing of beauty. He's grown a lot, and I've really warmed to him the last year or so. They showed that they can get an audience behind him with the firing storyline, and he showed he didn't look out of place with guys like Orton. It could just be a matter of time for a resurgence like Barrett's currently getting. I don't know what his ceiling is; during the brand split era he probably might've gotten a Smackdown title run.

I think a big problem with Cody is that he often wrestles like a heavyweight but it just doesn't look credible at his size and with his body type. I'm not gonna say he's too small to be in the business, but Cody is very, very small and I don't think he's ever really wrestled like someone his sizeshould. He was definitely miscast as a heel. I think he could be good as a work from underneath type. Like Sean Waltman but not as ugly.

I was one of the biggest advocates for WWE getting away from the homogenous brand of wrestlers who all had good physiques and were competent it the ring, but had nothing that made them standout or any real charisma or personality. Having said that, Cody Rhodes is pretty good, especially when he works underdog fiery face. He has the offence and size to make that work. As a heel he is boring as sin, though. Probably best that he sticks to the tag division.

Cody Rhodes is from the generation of inoffensive wrestlers. You know when everyone kinda just looked and wrestled like Randy Orton. I never hated Cody and never liked him. He always just elicited apathy from me.

Exactly how I feel.

Even though, I am not crazy about the mustache craze sweeping the nation, it was at least something.

There's a mustache craze sweeping the nation???

I lived in Ann Arbor and now live in the college suburbs outside of Boston so while I would say a beard is more en vogue (I know, I know the WWE is actually with it. I am shocked too.). The more "extreme" hipsters are rocking the mustache. If you are not living in Collegetown, USA then perhaps this does not affect you and consider yourself fortunate!

Cody just needs some panache. He is bland as all hell in terms of his aesthetics. Even if he got a faded hair cut (Cena is finally back in style!) that would help rather than his short all around haircut.

Cody definitely had a slight frame early on, but you only really grow into your body at around 25. He was just debuted so friggin early. I would say he has filled out, but still his body is just not that big. As a pretty boy babyface that takes a lickin, but keeps on tickin' he has some value. If they could find him a long-term tag team prospect as a babyface for 3-4 years it would probably be best, but what tag team even lasts more than a year or two nowadays.

To the moonsault point, I just don't like the moonsault onto a standing opponent. It looks pretty as all hell, but I rather it be down to an opponent on the mat.