Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-02-09-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage

Loss

• 1 month later...

Hogan comes out and says tonight he will settle this once and for all with Macho. He will give Macho some tough love and warns him to take his lumps and then rejoin the family. BROTHER, BROTHER, BROTHER. Macho is back in the stands and he has some words for Hogan and says that no one in El Paso, Texas (huge pop) will be able to stop him. This felt really big but it also felt like the beginning of Nitro reaching too hard with their main events and looking desperate at the pressure WWF was putting on them. Sting vs Macho and Hogan vs. Macho has now been the main event two consecutive weeks not to mention the Sting vs. Hogan rematch the night after Starrcade. 1997 didn't seem to have any big matches they did that with besides the Robin Hood Giant/Hogan match. Cracks are starting to widen ever so slightly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hogan has a few words of warning for Savage. I tend to like promos where someone says they have three points to make and then lists them all, so I liked this. But I agree that Hogan-Savage, if they're going to do it, is an awfully big match to just throw out with less than three hours of build. I also think this is taking away from the build to Hogan-Sting, which should have been a rematch with some real momentum. Savage interrupts from the crowd but Hogan promises to set him straight.

• 1 year later...

This was a pretty good segment in isolation, and Savage's line about beating Hogan from El Paso to Juarez was great, and gets a monster pop. But yeah, this is a little much to be giving away on free TV. These past two weeks feel like WCW is panicking a bit which isn't necessary--the WWF ratings shot up for Tyson but they still didn't beat Nitro and they went back down to the usual levels the next week. I don't remember where this goes but I wonder if this isn't actually a SWERVE and they'll delay the Savage/NWO split for awhile.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-02-09-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage