Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-07-18-MPPW-TV] Jerry Lawler, Jim Cornette and Giant Silva / Jerry Lawler and Randy Hales

Loss

• 2 months later...

We get the clip from RAW - Cornette gets in his face after the show is over in the backstage area. Giant Silva attacks Lawler from behind and chokes him out before repeatedly slamming a door on him while he's against a wall. We're supposed to think that ended Lawler's career? Really? They're selling it hardcore though, as Lawler has a cast on his arm and he's wearing a neckbrace as he enters the studio in his wheelchair. Hales comes out while Lawler is doing his goodbye promo to point out that he has no sympathy for Lawler, says he's a joke with a huge ego that didn't know his time was over and finally kicks Lawler out of the studio. Lawler will have none of it and jumps out of the wheelchair, exposing that he has a fake cast on and that he doesn't need the neckbrace. He drags Hales in the ring and strips him to his boxers. This was fantastic once again, but it's still hard for me to get past the Austin-McMahon copying.

• 4 weeks later...

I loved the fake out for this as I thought it was ridiculous for Lawler to be selling this so much but it was a fake out all along. I do think this angle has removed itself from the Austin vs. McMahon dynamic as much as it could in the past couple of weeks and become a lot more interesting to me as a result.

• 1 year later...

Footage after Raw, where Lawler is distracted by Jim Cornette and attacked by the Giant King, who weakly chokes him out and closes a door on him. Yeah, a real weak-sauce way of ending Lawler's career--a far cry from getting heaved over ringside by Jos LeDuc or getting dumped off the bleachers by Bill Dundee. This angle was lessened for me because I pretty much saw the fakeout coming--almost no wrestler who appears in a sling or a cast ever actually needs one. Hales declares that he doesn't feel sorry for Lawler, because he started the whole thing--clearly, Jerry screwed Jerry. Lawler gets out of the wheelchair and we end up seeing way more of Randy Hales than any of us ever wanted to.

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-07-18-MPPW-TV] Jerry Lawler, Jim Cornette and Giant Silva / Jerry Lawler and Randy Hales