Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-07-20-WWF-Raw] The Rock vs X-Pac

Loss

• 2 months later...

A big brawl happens between DX and The Nation before the match starts. This was a very good TV match. Gotta love Shawn's backhanded compliments to Rock at the booth. Rock's high workrate style as an upper midcarder has surprised me. They cut a fast pace and had some good nearfalls. Wonky finish with HHH pedigreeing Rock behind the ref's back, only for a second ref to come out and stop the count. A fan in the crowd flashed her boobs at HHH! Was she a real fan? Crowd popped huge! Shawn loved it at the booth too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say plant, but I'm a cynic who always says that. Ever since I saw that Stunt Granny undercover video I've never looked at wrestling quite the same way again. Thankfully the old dear didn't flash the audience in that one. I mean it would be absolutely crazy to show a topless old lady on WWF TV, wouldn't it?

• 3 weeks later...

Good Raw match reminiscient of the sprinkling of good matches we saw in 1997. Rock and X Pac wouldn't have been a bad PPV match as a bridge between the Shamrock feuds and the HHH one if it would have worked out. I liked the idea here that Rock looked strong being able to kick out off a ton of interference spots and he was wrestling more as a confident heel. HBK on commentary switches by the second from annoying to damn good during this match. Afterwards, we get another Nation vs. DX brawl with not a ton of heat and HHH convinces a woman to show her breasts in the audience. (**1/2)

• 1 year later...

This was a fun TV match given quite a bit of time for the era and some real thought put into it--Rock doesn't exactly zero in on X-Pac's bad neck but he does just enough for JR to get the psychology over, and the false finishes are all well-done. After D'Lo upset HHH to win the European title (and his sheer joy at being Champion of Europe is fantastic), you could definitely buy that they'd even things out by changing the IC title as well. Instead Jim Korderas for some reason disqualifies X-Pac for HHH's interference even though he wasn't the official of record. Chyna beats him up afterward. The girl in the audience looked like a plant to me, considering the camera found her before HHH did.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-07-20-WWF-Raw] The Rock vs X-Pac