Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #31: Cobra Clutch Challenge, WWF February to March 1981

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrestling-31-cobra-clutch-challenge-wwf-february-to-march-1981/

artworks-000086407042-dnh0xl-t500x500.jp

Parv, Pete, Johnny and Kelly travel to Allentown and they're closing all the factories down for the Cobra Clutch challenge!

On the docket tonight:

02-21 Cobra Clutch Challenge: Jeff Carson

02-28 Cobra Clutch Challenge: Rick McGraw

02-28 Stan Hansen vs Steve King

03-07 Cobra Clutch Challenge: Pat Patterson

- Discussion of the WWF TV product and them drawing in Canada

- Johnny adopts the totally ridiculous stance that Chief Jay Strongbow was a good worker because crowds cheered for him

- Bios for long-time ring announcer Joe McHugh, and jobbers Jack Carson, Ron Shaw, and the Black Demon

- Slow-burn turns including random discussion of Sting's stupidity

- Plus: Italian restaurants in St. Louis! The Love Brothers! The burial of David Sammartino! And much, much more.

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Random thought that popped into my head. One of the funniest signs I ever saw was in ECW arena, autumn of 1995, concerning Sandman -

A Beer is a Terrible Thing to Waste

Are fans as smart ie literate, witty, connected to anything outside wrestling anymore?

Johnny is only truly "wasted" during the first 10 minutes or so of this. If you're wondering how he gets progressively more sober, it's because we recorded the intro last. I mention this, because I don't want him claiming that his insane defense of Strongbow was under the influence! :P

Listened to the first half hour or so - wow! I'd like to congratulate the rest of the gang for their patience with Johnny 'Art Donovan' Sorrow. :D

And Johnny too - rambling wildly but still making coherent points about Stampede wrestling's legacy - kudos!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness. Ha, couldn't help but laugh at Johnny being messed up. What an intro, "I'm drunk". Liked that we returned back to WWF TV tapings. Good to get back to some angles/promos. Well done on the Joe McHugh bio. I like his delivery on introductions. This was the Sgt. Slaughter show and it rules. McHugh chasing after Sarge was hilarious. Loved these Cobra Clutch challenges and how it built up with each guy. Crowd was going nuts that McGraw was going to break it al the way up to Patterson where fans was so fired up. Slaughter having the cotton balls in his ears was awesome. I just love how he interacts with the crowd getting them to cheer Gomer more and more. Oh, we needed the full G.I.Joe the Movie theme song to be played! Had to watch it on youtube when I got home. Johnny calling Strongbow a good worker in that shark cage match?! Black Demon and Kelly. A perfect match. I hope this all leads to Kelly putting together a ranking of the best 100 jobbers. The end stuff with Patterson and Slaughter was so great. Pat getting busted open, Slaughter refusing to let go of the Clutch, the crowd shots! But "The Van" took this to the next level when he got a hold of the chair. Dominic adding to his legendary status.