Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network in Canada only available to 20% of populace

After waiting months for WWE Network to get a Canadian launch...this is what we are treated to...a farce. Rogers paid WWE money to get an exclusive on what should be a netflix like service. Although I do have Rogers as a provider...I'm not upgrading my cable bill JUST to get the network.

Same as it ever was in the great white north....

slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/MatMatters/2014/08/12/21869386.html

slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2014/08/13/21871016.html

I am boycotting until we get the same kind of service available in the US.

So I don't know how things like this work. Why is it so hard just to let people with Canadian IP addresses register on their website? Or IPs from anywhere in the world?

As long as the Rogers money is higher than the expected number of Canadian subscribers times 7 (or whatever is left after paying MLB and considering organization) it is the right choice from a business perspective.

So I don't know how things like this work. Why is it so hard just to let people with Canadian IP addresses register on their website? Or IPs from anywhere in the world?

As long as the Rogers money is higher than the expected number of Canadian subscribers times 7 (or whatever is left after paying MLB and considering organization) it is the right choice from a business perspective.

Pretty much.

I'm assuming Rogers only* needed to toss the WWE about $10 million per year (so just at the nine figure range for the length of the contract). WWE likely assumed, after assessing their US totals, that it was more than enough to believe it's a safe gain in Canada.

*what they're paying WWE is still a fraction of what they're paying the NHL, I'm guessing

The WWE took the cable route because (in my cynical view) ROGERS cable offered them some money. The WWE doesn't realize the most successful entertainment entity in Canada is NETFLIX -- everybody who can get it does.

The reviews are in and they ain't pretty:

slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2014/08/13/21871531.html

This is the core WWE audience talking -- not casual fans.

Meltzer says it's been a huge success in Canada. Sorry guys.

Did he explain how? It's not available to hardly anyone, free for those who do get it, hasn't passed CRTC approval yet and did I mention most of the country doesn't get it?

I have Rogers. It's not free.

Meltzer says it's been a huge success in Canada. Sorry guys.

Did he explain how? It's not available to hardly anyone, free for those who do get it, hasn't passed CRTC approval yet and did I mention most of the country doesn't get it?

I have Rogers. It's not free.

Mistyped on my part. I meant that it was still in the free preview stage. Which, since I'm with Bell, I should frame as a question rather than as a statement.

Mistyped on my part. I meant that it was still in the free preview stage. Which, since I'm with Bell, I should frame as a question rather than as a statement.

Not a free preview, either. ;) There's an explanation here:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-id/18941

Does WWE Net Pak have a Free Preview?

There is no Free Preview of WWE Net Pak. WWE Net Pak is a monthly Pay Per View package for only $11.99/month that is a Preview of the best of the WWE Network. The use of the word “Preview” has caused some confusion with customers thinking this means it’s a Free Preview. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

The only thing I heard close to it is that if you order the Net Pak, the initial two weeks is free, which seems strange in itself. But not the same as a provider simply playing the channel for free for a certain period of time, without the customer asking them to.

Just that it's (in Alvarez's words) exceeded expectations.

Expectations must have been pretty low, then.

Which makes me wonder the following:

1. What WWE's expectations in Canada were and how much money they would've made had it been strictly OTT.

2. What Rogers paid WWE and how much of a difference it was compared to the money predicted in 1.

3. How many subscribers they're actually getting from approximately only 20% of the country right now, and if that actually changes projections once the service (eventually) expands.

4. If it means Rogers makes a significant amount of money from this.

5. If it's all bullshit.