Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-01-02-MPPW-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Brian Christopher

Loss

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year! Brian Christopher is upset because his Christmas was ruined by Jerry Lawler. Lawler had the nerve to stave off a home invasion by throwing a fireball, and that's a trick I may want to learn since I have no desire to ever own or even touch a gun. This is pretty standard Lawler formula at this point - 70% feeling out and 30% action - but I don't mean that as a major diss. Stasiak ends up hitting Lawler with a cookie sheet after a ref distraction, which would appear to be the finish, but Lawler gets a kickout. Stacey goes into check on him and I have no idea with Christopher and the ref are doing in the corner, but it stretches believability that he'd distract him that long. Then Stasiak attacks Lawler in plain sight of the ref anyway. Stasiak tries to throw fire but botches it badly. Even that aside, I suspect this finish wasn't executed the way it was booked because it was pretty bad.

• 1 month later...

This was pretty bad. Even though both guys were Memphis staples, this was a sorta fresh match. Brian was the heel but Lawler had Stacy helps him. It's kinda sad how much of a afterthought Lawler felt in Memphis during this time. Especially compared to Randy Hales, Streak and Brandon Baxter. That fireball was the worst I"ve ever seen.

Alright, time to party like its 1999. We start the year off in PPW with a lot of what was going on in 1998. Long-ish studio matches that are fine but not really groundbreaking. The Christopher vs. Lawler feud hasn't excited me in the least. The thing I liked most about this match was Stacey interaction either getting the refs attention or being spit at. Stasiak gives a fireball that would make Hulk at Havoc 98 blush. We have our barometer of what a decent if inconsequential match in 1999 looks like. (**)

• 1 month later...

Yes, the fireball was completely botched. Stasiak meant to throw it at Stacy. They retried this in an interview after the commercial break. This time the fireball was better but the camera angle ruins it this time, as the fireball doesn't reach Stacy but she sells it anyway. For then, anyway. We never see her, ever, with even so much as a Band-Aid on her cheek.

• 2 years later...

9 down, 1 to go! Then I can jump into January 2000 while Loss and Chad are recording their 2002-in-review podcast. Who knows--maybe I'll be caught up to the modern age by the time Aurora McMahon is an on-air authority figure.

I thought the ring work was pretty good, actually, but the finish is all kinds of messed up. A manager can get a referee to stop counting just by telling him to? I did think Stasiak was aiming the fireball at Stacy and they were going for a deliberate "near miss" type of deal--glad to have ajtroma clearing things up.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-01-02-MPPW-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Brian Christopher