Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-01-04-NJPW-Wrestling World in Tokyo Dome] Shinjiro Otani & Tatsuhito Takaiwa vs Dr. Wagner Jr & Kendo Ka Shin

Loss

• 2 months later...

There's now a junior tag team title, which shows the depth of the division, although it existed before this match. Last few minutes. Match isn't heated at all, and we go through this ever year on January 4 with New Japan juniors. They still haven't cracked the code - so I guess now we can say Liger-Kanemoto in '96 came closest to keeping a crowd, even though I'm not sure it fully succeeded either. And this is a bomb throwing match with Takaiwa pulling off a quadruple powerbomb and doing big suplexes. And they make use of the entrance ramp to do some visible brawling too. It just didn't get people excited. Too bad.

• 1 month later...

I don't know what Loss means that the match didn't have any heat. This was the loudest I've seen the Tokyo Dome treat Juniors wrestling in the Yearbooks I've gotten. They seemed to be into Ka shin. Weird seeing Wagner in this role as the workhorse. Reminds me of Hogan when he went to Japan. Poor Takaiwa had to hold up Kashin forever in that powerbomb before Ohtani did the dropkick. Not bad.

Clips looked fine. I have been surprised by how much I have enjoyed Takaiwa as I always thought he was by far the glaring weak link when watching junior stuff many years ago. Ditto Ka Shin who still isn't great but he hasn't been horrible in the stuff weve seen. Match looked pretty fun but ultimately not that meaty. Dr. Wagner had a good run in New Japan.

• 2 years later...

Okay action but kind of uninspiring, with some sloppy parts--though I agree with Tim that by the standards of juniors in the Tokyo Dome, this isn't a bad crowd reaction at all. Ka Shin gets annihilated by both opponents but pulls out a top-rope cross armbreaker to get Otani to tap in a victory that came a little bit easy for my liking.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-01-04-NJPW-Wrestling World in Tokyo Dome] Shinjiro Otani & Tatsuhito Takaiwa vs Dr. Wagner Jr & Kendo Ka Shin